How do I create a panel in Jira Software that shows only the epics so my sales people can see the epics progress?

Angel Bartomeu January 26, 2016

Sometimes JIRA issues are too complex for non-technical people that needs to take a look at how things are going fbut they don't want to see stories and technical tasks that many times are too complex for them. Therefore, I would like to create a simple three-column panel (To-do, Doing, Done) that shows only the epics we are working on.

Is it possible?

1 answer

1 vote
Colm McGrath January 26, 2016

It sounds like you are looking to create a seperate board for the non technical people.

1. Create a new board
  2. Modify the filter on the board  to only include EPICS.
    -project = "Enter Project name here" AND issuetype = Epic ORDER BY Rank
  3. Configure the board to have only the three columns (To-do, Doing, Done).
    image2016-1-26 17:1:21.png
    image2016-1-26 17:0:44.png
    image2016-1-26 17:2:47.png

Angel Bartomeu January 26, 2016

Hi Colm and thanks for the quick answer.

The problem is that I cannot open the sprint because I don't know how to add Epics to it. I cannot add stories either because of the filter.

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2016

Generally, you don't add Epics to sprints, you add their stories and that draws them in naturally.

The board for the Epics that Colm suggests is the right way to go though, it'll tell the users what the current status are.

Angel Bartomeu January 27, 2016

Yes Nic. But I cannot open a Sprint without stories and I cannot add stories because of the filter of my board.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2016

Eh?  Sorry, I don't understand what you're doing now.

You should have a board with stories on it.  That's where most of your users work.  You can group stories into epics in there.

Your question was about creating a view for just Epics.  As Colm already said - create a new Kanban board which only shows the Epics.

Suggest an answer