How do I create a group in JIRA?

Hamza Tayeb October 30, 2017

The Atlassian docs have this page about managing groups -

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/manage-groups-744721627.html

This doesn't seem to fully reflect the latest UI, since -

#1 there is no "User management" (there is an option called "People")

#2 I can't seem to find any "Groups" option anywhere on this page

Anybody had this issue?

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Varga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

You are looking at the project configuration. To create groups you have to navigate to Site Administration. This one is available in the menu in the bottom left corner of your page.

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 8.58.18 AM.png 

Or from the main menu:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 9.01.55 AM.png

1 vote
Chris Kemp September 12, 2023

This is an old thread, who knows, perhaps things have changed,  but I am here looking for answers.

Jira is (software) project centric, generally overseen by a Project Manager, or in Jira terms, a Project Lead.

WHY ON EARTH CAN'T THE PROJECT LEAD MANAGE GROUPS WITHOUT HAVING TO GO TO JIRA ADMINS????  This is an unnecessary level of control, and very restrictive.  Surely this is exactly what a Project Lead AND Project Admins would expect to do?

NB Ideally there would be group management within a project, but that group could be used across other projects.  If I have a team of Analysts, I wouldn't want to keep creating the same group over and over again.  The team members will change, so I would expect to be able to manage them whenever I wish.

Also, this question is answered on the basis that Site Administration is open to anyone with an interest in using Jira.  In a large organisation, it is completely locked down, either managed by a support department, or worst still, a third party.  Given that everyone seems to be blindly heading to cloud implementation, it would appear the challenges are greater as the product is even more restrictive.

1 vote
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

Maybe you are on the server product rather than Cloud? Does your interface look like:

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 4.50.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 4.50.36 PM.png

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

You can add groups under User management, just click on Settings Settings.png

And then User management

User management.png

You need site admin rights to be able to do it.

Hamza Tayeb October 30, 2017

Is that in the new interface? I don't see that link (using an admin account). I see one instead that says "People"

Like # people like this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

Yes, it is in the new interface. You can also get to it by clicking on application links

Applinks.png

If you do not see Site administration then you do not have the right permissions. Site admin is different from admin rights.

David Murphy November 13, 2019

is there anyway someone other than a site-admin can create groups?

Like David Gyarmati likes this
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 13, 2019

@David Murphy not on cloud. If you are using the server version there are apps that allow you to delegate group management to non-admins.

Suggest an answer