How do I copy jira issues/tickets from one project to another?

Ade Shokoya April 22, 2013

Hi - does anyone know of a effective way to copy a jira issue from one project to another?

We have one enterprise project, with 3 teams working on seperate sprint features, but for transparency purposes we want to keep all stories in one backlog. So during pre-sprint grooming, each team will copy their upcoming stories into their existing sprint backlog. Then at the end of the sprint, update the final status in both projects (one time overhead)

That said, it would be great if the status of both tickets could be automatically synced if possible?

Thanks

4 answers

1 vote
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2013

Hi Ade,

Have you considered creating a board for each team, and one for the product owner/PM? If they have the same filter, they will show the same issues, and all 'started' sprints (if a sprint is in planning, it does not technically exist, so will not show across boards). This way, each team can work off of their own board, and report on their own sprints, without having to duplicate issues.

If that doesn't work, I would consider cloning the issue, which will create a copy that can be linked as well. Unfortunately, without some development, you won't be able to sync the tickets, and you couldn't do that with OnDemand.

Hope that helps!

-dave

Thanks Dave

We did think of that and thought for traceability and greater stakeholder transparency it might be better for all project related tickets to have the same key/prefix.

We have installed the multiple sprint functionality in the labs section - do you know how realiable that funtionality is?

Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2013

I believe that's been available a while, now, so should work well; I know of several customers that are using it and haven't reported any issues and I'm not even sure that would be considered Greenhopper labs functionality any longer - that's simply the place to toggle it on/off...

Awesome! Thanks Dave!!

0 votes
Michael_Bennette August 5, 2013

This is something that I am looking at as well. In my use case, it's where we would have a Jira issue in different Jira projects. in the majority of the time, one Jira will be sufficient. But there are cases where another Jira project will have a time-constained dependency. For the purposes of keeping a close eye on the dependency and ensuring it meets a specific timeline, they would like a Jira to be in their Greenhopper board's sprint. The Jira issue though is allocated to the team actually doing the work is on their GreenHopper board's sprint.

However a Jira can only be a part of 1 sprint, it cannot be a part of two GH boards. We can always link Jira's together which is our default action. But in the case of a tightly watched dependency, the other dependent team wants their own Jira to see our progress. Being able to sync Jira issues will be nice if we add comments or status updates to one Jira, and it will automatically add those comments to the dependent one.

I haven't tried the multiple sprints yet (assuming this is the same as Parallel Sprints), but I'll take a look.

0 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Script Runner plugin will help you to copy jira issues from one project to another

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

Thanks Onkar - unfortunately this does not look like its compatible with on-demand?

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2013

Hi Ade, you can check this plugin:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.jjupin

It says something about Jira Remote Integration and complex workflows. Maybe this is what you are looking for?

Thanks Ramiro - I'll ask one of the tech guys to look into this

Suggest an answer