How do I copy issues from one project to another project?

Shivali Jandial July 1, 2015

Hi, Please find the below scenario:

Scenario:

We have created two projects in JIRA. We have created few issues in one project .

Now ,we want to copy those issues in to another project. Is it possible to copy issues from one project to another project ? If yes , please provide us with the steps.

If there is any plugin for the above scenario for JIRA cloud? Please guide on plugin .

Thanks,

Shivali 

5 answers

9 votes
Julien Peyrade _ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 21, 2023

Hello, 

Cloning several issues from one project to another can take a lot of time, even more when they are organized in hierarchies, with Epics, tasks and subtasks.

To make things easier, I would recommend our app, Elements Copy & Sync which can help you do exactly this.

We have created this short tutorial to explain how we will help you save a lot of time by bulk copying issues.

You can do the same thing with Epics to clone all the issues within, same as with subtasks.

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

1 vote
Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2023

Hi,

This is Majid @ Exalate. 

The use case you have described should be very possible to do with an issue sync app like Exalate. You can customize the fields you want to copy over and just hit a button to trigger the Bulk Copy. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Thanks

Majid

1 vote
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2015

You can't copy to another project. What you can do is to clone the issue inside your source project and then move the cloned issue to a target project.

0 votes
arnab_pandit August 4, 2020

I am using Jira Cloud, so confident about cloud steps. May work for the server version as well.

step 1: Select issue, go to Actions (...)

step 2. Clone the issue. 

step 3. Again Actions and move the cloned issue.

step 4: Choose destination (New Project)

then follow the instructions, copy is done.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 5, 2020

Welcome to the community, @arnab_pandit !

If you want to bulk clone and move several issues at once you can try our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

Hani Al Abri December 9, 2020

Hi,

I tried this but it didn't work for me.
In my case, when the user creates a change request through the help center with custom fields and the issue gets cloned or moved to another project. These custom field don't appear in the cloned or moved issue.

Is there a way to make them appear?

Currently, our only solution is to use issue linking, which we don't prefer.
We want to clone or move the issue with all of its details not some.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
December 9, 2020

Welcome to the Community, @Hani Al Abri!

If you're working with Deep Clone for Jira you must make sure that the custom fields exist also in the target project, before you clone the issue.

If that's the case, but the issue still occures, don't hesitate to get in touch with our support. 

0 votes
Joseph Siebert March 29, 2018

Jjira doesn't have a plug-in for this that works for Cloud. But you can export the issues you want from one project and import them to another project.

New project -> Issues -> Advanced Search -> Click the 3 dots for more options in the top right corner and then select import issues from CSV

You will then be asked to map the fields you want to import. Your Jira issues, fields, components etc need to match in order for many of these fields to work. Make sure to not map over the issue IDs or keys as you want these to be unqiue to the new project. 

I would recommend practicing this procedure with a test jira project before you potentially contaminate one of your real projects accidently. 

Wendy Thorneloe September 22, 2020

HI

I know this is old but its exactly what I want to do.

How do I export my issues into a proper CSV file so I can import them?

Thanks

Wendy

arnab_pandit September 22, 2020

Hi Wendy,

To be on the safer side, you can select all fields while taking the CSV dumps.

You will get big .csv files.

While uploading, do the field mapping only for the required fields. Avoid mapping unnecessary fields (some custom fields, or empty fields) and system-generated fields (like issue id, creation date, etc)

Imp: Take different CSV dumps for each issue types.

Challenge will be there in re-establishing the mapping across issue types (e.g. epic-story, or story-bug).

It's possible to keep the mapping, but if you are not an expert, please do it manually. That's a post upload operation. 

Regards,

Arnab 

Suggest an answer