How do I control which users can assign tickets to other users or a group of users?

Sharon Bingham March 19, 2013

I need to be able to limit who can assign tickets to my developers.

The only users who should be allowed to do this are:

• other users on the team (i.e. people in the Developers group)
  • or me (though, I am also in the developers group)

I am certain there is a simple way to do this, but I have not been able to find it in the documentation after looking for over an hour. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2 answers

0 votes
Sharon Bingham March 25, 2013

I had hoped to be able to do it per user or graoup of users, and not per project, since my team sometimes does have legitimate work to do on other projects. And because within our team we are often working on multiple projects*. So it'd be much easier for me to make a rule that says "No-one can assign tickets to ANYONE on my team except for me, and themselves."

For now, I've just asked people not to do it (but you know they are still going to. It's what people do.

*I did not set JIRA up this way. It was like that when I arrived, and I am not sure the way it is done makes much sense, but I can't seem to find a good guide on the best way to structure our projects. Lots and lots of documents on actually DOING things (i.e. click on this button, select this, change this setting or drop-drop), but not good examples/documentation on the bigger picture, such as how other teams use things like Epics, Projects, Stories, Versions, etc.

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2013

Hi Sharon,

You can do this with your permission scheme for a project - just check out the assign user permission. Details can be found at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

Thanks,

-dave

Suggest an answer