How do I control the set of epics displayed in the new Jira Epic Link dropdown?

Carl Fischer June 20, 2013
The recently added ability to set an epic for a story directly from the edit screen in Jira is super handy. However that dropdown appears to allow selection of any epic from any project, regardless of state. The auto-complete is helpful but we have tons of epics littered across our projects from days of old before we standardized on epic usage, as well as epics resolved as duplicates with very similar names to the active epic. All of this makes it far easier to set the field incorrectly than correctly. I can easily control the set of epics displayed in Plan mode of a Scrum board in the board's filter query. How can I control the set of epics available in the Jira Epic Link dropdown?

10 answers

3 votes
Pedro Nande May 30, 2016

Hi,

Inter project epic autocompletion in the edit screen is still present in JIRA v6.4.12. This is also a real issue for us, as we have dozens of projects with dozens of epics whose names often collide and make it hard to select the correct one from the drop down. Ideally only the current project epics would be offered to the user by default, as 99% of the times it's those he's after.

Are there any plans to change this?

1 vote
Jens Busse April 21, 2020

Hi - would like to have a solution for this as well.  In my setup is the dropdown imited to 100 out of a couple of hundreds and selection would be much easier if all epics are displayed ( maybe a simple parameter change ). Any hints or information on this topic ?

0 votes
Inka Benthin March 24, 2020

I have the same issue in my privately used JIRA cloud plan instance.

At work we do not have the issue, so there must be a solution.

Any hints?

0 votes
Dan Bish July 2, 2019

We have one project and MANY teams under it and want to only show the epics in the epic panel that relate to the team.  This would be a huge help as the list gets quite long with 20+ teams using epics.

Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 4, 2019

Hi Dan,

You can create a board per team or you can use the app Agile Tools & Filters to filter the list using JQL. Epics have to be assigned to a team using a custom field, label or component.

02.Backlog.png

Dan Bish July 5, 2019

Thanks, you responded faster than I could add to this.

The epics are nicely filtered now, but the "versions" are not.  I can create filters to only show the backlog items that are in certain versions, but have not found a way to only show the versions (releases) that I want the team to be able to choose from.  I found a plug-in to do it, but it is way too expensive.  Seems like there should be a way since different teams have different versions they can add to their backlog items.  If they expire, great, but if they stick around for a while, and you have a lot of teams, it is a little clunky.

0 votes
Ivkov Max June 20, 2019

This would be very useful feature. Each epic is a node of a project. We have a lot of projects and a lot of epics. It is a big headache to choose a right one when creating an issue. We need some filters in Epic Link there.

0 votes
Sebastian Rau May 15, 2019

Some Problem. Please give a hint, how we can solve it.
For us it's really a big security issue, also.

0 votes
James_Oliver March 19, 2019

Cant understand how when i am creating a bug or story etc on a project, and i go to select Epic link, why all Epics across all project are appearing (on jira cloud). Why would this not dynamically load the epics created under the project that was selected?

Please tell me this is just me being stupid and there is a simple way to implement this behaviour?

Thanks

0 votes
Tanja Schmidt February 20, 2019

Is there any progress on this?

This is a serious security issue for us!

0 votes
RickyBhardwaj July 29, 2013

any resolution to the same?

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 27, 2013

Hi Carl,

If you mean Epics that are aready marked as Done, they are not supposed to be displayed in that list, but they are being displayed due to this bug:

GHS-9158

The name of Epics that are already marked as Done are not being displayed in list, however, their IDs are. And when you select the Epic name, it erroneously associated to the Epic that was already closed.

Please keep an eye on the bug report. Once that is fixed, the Done Epics should no longer be displayed in the dropdown.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Clarissa.

motherg July 16, 2013

Hi Clarissa,

I don't think that's what the OP meant. What they are saying is they are creating an issue in Project A and they are seeing Epics from Project A,B,C,D in the Epic Link field.

I image that they (as well as myself) were expecting that only epics that relate to the project you are creating the issue in would be displayed (or perhaps displayed in the "suggested" list).

Carl Fischer September 3, 2013

Hi Clarissa -

After updating to JIRA Agile v6.3.0.2 the Epic Link dropdown works much better. I no longer see the IDs in the list.

However I still see "Done" epics in the list, which is the way I would like to control which epics are available for selsection. How are you defining "Done"?

In our workflow epic tickets are Resolved / Closed when completed. Epic tickets in those workflow steps are still included in the Epic Link dropdown.

Carl

Suggest an answer