How do I control the set of epics displayed in the new Jira Epic Link dropdown?

The recently added ability to set an epic for a story directly from the edit screen in Jira is super handy. However that dropdown appears to allow selection of any epic from any project, regardless of state. The auto-complete is helpful but we have tons of epics littered across our projects from days of old before we standardized on epic usage, as well as epics resolved as duplicates with very similar names to the active epic. All of this makes it far easier to set the field incorrectly than correctly. I can easily control the set of epics displayed in Plan mode of a Scrum board in the board's filter query. How can I control the set of epics available in the Jira Epic Link dropdown?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Carl,

If you mean Epics that are aready marked as Done, they are not supposed to be displayed in that list, but they are being displayed due to this bug:

GHS-9158

The name of Epics that are already marked as Done are not being displayed in list, however, their IDs are. And when you select the Epic name, it erroneously associated to the Epic that was already closed.

Please keep an eye on the bug report. Once that is fixed, the Done Epics should no longer be displayed in the dropdown.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Hi Clarissa,

I don't think that's what the OP meant. What they are saying is they are creating an issue in Project A and they are seeing Epics from Project A,B,C,D in the Epic Link field.

I image that they (as well as myself) were expecting that only epics that relate to the project you are creating the issue in would be displayed (or perhaps displayed in the "suggested" list).

Hi Clarissa -

After updating to JIRA Agile v6.3.0.2 the Epic Link dropdown works much better. I no longer see the IDs in the list.

However I still see "Done" epics in the list, which is the way I would like to control which epics are available for selsection. How are you defining "Done"?

In our workflow epic tickets are Resolved / Closed when completed. Epic tickets in those workflow steps are still included in the Epic Link dropdown.

Carl

any resolution to the same?

Hi,

Inter project epic autocompletion in the edit screen is still present in JIRA v6.4.12. This is also a real issue for us, as we have dozens of projects with dozens of epics whose names often collide and make it hard to select the correct one from the drop down. Ideally only the current project epics would be offered to the user by default, as 99% of the times it's those he's after.

Are there any plans to change this?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

207 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you