How do I control the Story status when Story sub-tasks are completed and related question

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2012

Things are set up so that a Story can't be closed if it has open sub-tasks. Works fine. But when the last sub-task closes, the Story's status is changed to "Closed" instead of the status I want. Closed is an option, but not what should be the default.

How do I fix this?

The related question is this:

The Story and its sub-tasks are sitting happily in the "Open" status. When I drag a sub-task into the "In Progress" column, how can I cause the parent Story status to change to "In Progress" also?

14 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2012

Things are set up so that a Story can't be closed if it has open sub-tasks. Works fine. But when the last sub-task closes, the Story's status is changed to "Closed" instead of the status I want. Closed is an option, but not what should be the default.

GreenHopper simply tries to transition the parent issue to the same status as the status of the last sub task, if you do not want this behaviour just choose 'No' when GreenHopper asks if you'd like to automatically transition the parent issue then click on the parent issue and transition it to done by clicking the Cog, More Actions then the status that you want to be the final status for the parent.

The Story and its sub-tasks are sitting happily in the "Open" status. When I drag a sub-task into the "In Progress" column, how can I cause the parent Story status to change to "In Progress" also?

The only way to do this automatically is using the workflow ideas proposed by Tomi.

Thanks,
Shaun

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

GreenHopper simply tries to transition the parent issue to the same status as the status of the last sub task,

Ah, the SAME STATUS. I will have to try altering some statuses to see if this will do what I am after.

Like Vicki Porter likes this
3 votes
Arun Mathew Thomas July 22, 2014

Is there a way to de-link the parent (story) status from the status of the sub-tasks

1 vote
Tomi September 25, 2012

Hi George,

about your second question: have you tried using a "post action" in your workflow? You could trigger such a post action, i.e. one that transitions the parent issue of a subtask, when the subtask's status is changed from "open" to "in progress".

That way the story would move from" open" to "in progress" as soon as someone changes a subtask's status from "open" to "in progress". You might want to check on what happens if a story has more than one subtask an already has the status "in progress".

Cheers,

tomi

Tomi September 25, 2012

Hi George,

if you open that particular workflow, just chose the transition you're looking for (the subtask's "open" -> "in progress") and click "Post Functions".

Above the listed post actions, there's a link to add a post action:

"Add a new post function to the unconditional result of the transition. "

and add a new post action. There are plenty of post action slistet, so maybe try a search (ctrl + f) and look for "Transition parent issue" and follow further instruction down the road.

Cheers,

tomi

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

That was my first thought. But when I look at the "Post Actions" I don't see any that deal with the parent Issue. Am I missing something?

Here is what I see:

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

Thanks, but...

You say, "There are plenty of post action slistet..."

But as you can see in the screen shot above, I only have 7 -- and there is no scroll bar or way I can see to find more.

Like Mateusz Przybyłek likes this
DavidMarom February 2, 2017

Same here

Peter van den Ochtend February 8, 2017

Nobody is answering this question. I hope the question will not be answered with "You have to buy an extension to do this..."...

Like # people like this
0 votes
Ernesto Di Luccia March 23, 2018

This will help me also//!!!

0 votes
Kelly Morales January 10, 2018

Any recent changes here? I'm attempting to do something similar (move all stories to 'Done' and have the option to select UAT for the parent status instead of Done) using our Kanban board.

Our Scrum board setting allows you to set multiple status' under the Done column, which then prompts the user to select one of the Done status (UAT, QA or Done) options when moving all sub-tasks to Done.

So the 'solution' would seem to have multiple status options within the Kanban board to be considered a 'Done' state. I've updated our workflow scheme to indicate a few of these statuses to be Done but this does not resolve the issue. 

0 votes
Rob Parkin December 14, 2015

I know it's an old question, but I've been having the same problem.

It appears, that by default, JIRA sets the Swimlanes based on Stories
If you want to see your Stories in the right position in the Columns (with respect to status) then set Board/Configure/Swimlanes to "No Swimlanes"
0 votes
Doug Varn December 5, 2013

George, it sounds like you're trying to do what I am. When all story sub-tasks are Done (closed), transition the story to something else (ie Ready for QA). I read all the comments, but not clear you got it working. Did you and how if so?

0 votes
Doron Gill October 30, 2013

Thanks for promptly addressing.

So... first... to make sure there is no misunderstanding, I did NOT add the POST transition. As I stated I would like to refrain from messing around with the Simplified Workflow.

And so... at least on my jira, when moving a subtask into In Progress, the Story still stays To Do.

0 votes
Doron Gill October 30, 2013

Great discussion, but at the end of the day, why would one need to bend over backwards to resolve what is, in essence, a bug? All the more so when adding a Post function, or messing around in any other way, with the predefined DO-NOT-TOUCH simplified workflow, is frowned upon

When one moves a subtask to "In Progress" it is very clear that this Story is now In Progress and looking at the Work Board only amplifies this. Why Jira Agile will refuse to mark it as such in the Sprint Report is anybody's guess. IMHO, this needs to be opened as a bug, and our wonderul vendor needs to fix it.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2013

Doron,

I don't understand your concern. When I move the first subtask to In Progress, the parent story moves to In Progress. No problem.

Claire Buckley June 20, 2018

George - it doesn't on my board.  I move a subtask to In Progress and the parent story stays in To Do so I have to go through and manually update the parent story so we can see what work is being started.

Like kunal_soni likes this
chris.antreasian October 26, 2018

I am having the same issue. All subtasks can be in Done state when the parent story remains in To Do. I want them to by synced

Vicki Porter May 24, 2019

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\. me too....Im using JIRA Software- does this require a plugin? We are using Scrum and have swim lanes. Each story currently requires manual steps to move to done when all tasks / subtasks are DONE. We are wanting to have the status of the story change to DONE upon the last task /. sub task being updated with the status of DONE...anyone know if this is possible? 

Nishant Satyam September 1, 2020

Dropping in quite late..but have we found any solution for this issue? In my board as well the parent story don't move to In Progress when sub-tasks are moved to same state?

Sanjay K November 11, 2020

Dropping late too, it worked for me, when all the Sub-tasks are marked as Done, parent User Story status can either be marked as Resolved or Closed in latest version of JIRA

For other statuses like In Progress, possibly Post Functions would work, haven't tried though, need Super Admin previledges

0 votes
adrian_bukowski August 13, 2013

There is a plugin which extends list of available post actions in transitions - JIRA Misc Workflow Extension.

0 votes
laurence bascle June 4, 2013

anybody know if there is a ticket on Atlassian's roadmap to vote for, to enable workflow postcondition customisation? i am also not using the simplified Greenhopper workflow but a JIRA one, thanks

0 votes
Deborah Baron January 24, 2013

Can we set the "Post function" so it is the default for all subtasks and the Parent?

Thanks - Deb

0 votes
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 26, 2012

... and the winner is... Shaun!

When I made the final sub-task status match the status I wanted for the parent story (and some other changes) it worked.

The other changes I had to make were...

1. Remove the transition from the location where the parent might be to Closed, since JIRA really wanted to use that transition.

2. Added a transition from all the places where the story "might" be to the matching status step so it had a way to get there.

0 votes
Tomi September 25, 2012

Hi George,

sorry, the screenshot was not shown when I wrote my answer. Have you tried looking for a way to add more post functions? Maybe your JIRA (tech-)admins could help you with this. Here's an article I found about adding post functions to JIRA:

http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2010/8/workflow-post-function.html

Cheers,

tomi

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2012

Humm... Thanks, but I'm not ready to start customizing at that level yet.

Suggest an answer