How do I connect Bitbucket users with JIRA OnDemand users?

Itamar Ostricher July 13, 2014

We are using Google Apps accounts to sign into Bitbucket. When team members first signed in, they created new Bitbucket users and set their Bitbucket usernames freely.

E.g., I logged in using my Google Apps account itamar@company.com, but since "itamar" is already taken as a Bitbucket username, I chose the username "itamar_company".

Now we want to use JIRA OnDemand, using the same Google Apps accounts. But JIRA OnDemand sets the usernames straight from our emails (e.g. my username is "itamar" and I can't change it).

When importing issues from Bitbucket issue tracker to JIRA OnDemand, the Bitbucket users are imported along, and we are left with two inconsistent sets of users (e.g. "itamar" is the user I can actually use with JIRA OnDemand, but "itamar_company" is the user that has issues assigned, and the user who is active on Bitbucket).

Is there a way to "merge" users on JIRA OnDemand? Or force it to use our Bitbucket usernames?

1 answer

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2014

I think your best bet in this situation would be to bulk assign issues from the imported user name to the existing user name on JIRA side, and upon completion disable the imported username in order to prevent it from counting toward your license limit.

Itamar Ostricher July 15, 2014

Thanks. That's a valid option.

Just a few concerns I'd like to resolve before actually doing this:

1. After doing the bulk changes, when a (Bitbucket) user mentions an issue in a commit message, how does JIRA know to update the issue as the appropriate user on JIRA's side?
  2. If a user performs repository operations from within a JIRA issue (like create a branch), how does Bitbucket know to associate the operation with the correct Bitbucket user?
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 15, 2014

JIRA DVCS Connector will set up links between your repositories and your JIRA account, you can check those manually from the repository. Go to your repo settings on Bitbucket, and click on "links" and you should see the links that Bitbucket has to your JIRA URL.

As for actions performed from JIRA, Bitbucket will check if you have a session in the browser logged into your Bitbucket account, and will make API calls for the request to perform these operations. So authentication is done in the background, if there's no sessions, then Bitbucket will ask you to login.

Itamar Ostricher July 17, 2014

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Itamar Ostricher July 19, 2014

I found how to bulk change assignee and reporter on issues,

but is there a way to bulk edit the user of issue comments?

Also, the Bitbucket issues are imported with their Bitbucket watchlists. Is there a way to bulk edit the watchlists user to the JIRA users?

Itamar Ostricher July 19, 2014

btw, how do I "disable" the imported user? I could not find such an operation in the user management view.

Suggest an answer