How do I configure the scrum master role so that the scrum master role can only start and create sprints and NOTHING else

Maarten Uppelschoten October 5, 2015

We only want the scrum master to be able to create and start sprints.

I was told that you have to make the scrum master member of the project admins, but by doing so the scrum master receives much more rights. Which is not what we, and what I read many others want.

Is it correct that today it is not possible to configure roles in JIRA per function?

Is it correct that the only project administrators can create and start prints?

If you have a solution or can confirm this limitation in Jira, please let me know.

Much appreciated!

2 answers

1 vote
Richard Cross April 15, 2016

As of JIRA 7.1, you can assign a "Manage Sprints" permission to a Role.  Therefore, you could create a new role called Scrum Master (if you don't already have that) and that user can now manage sprints without necessarily having "Administer" Project rights.

Mandar Ramdas April 9, 2020

This indeed worked for me. Very Helpful.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2015

The JIRA Boards are a part of JIRA Agile and permissions are documented here https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-resources/jira-agile-faq/what-are-the-permissions-used-in-agile-boards. Removing some "permission" to the "Administer Projects" is not ideal at all. So I think there is not much granularity you can find here.

Suggest an answer