How do I configure JIRA to restrict new users' access to specific projects?

Jacob Beard December 27, 2013

I've started using JIRA OnDemand to manage projects for multiple clients. I would like to invite users from various teams to create and view issues on specific projects. However, out of the box, it seems like JIRA is configured to allow new users to browse issues on all projects. I do not want a new user to be able to see all of my projects, so I would like to restrict new users' access so that they must explicitly be granted permission to browse issues and create new issues on a specific project.

What would be the best way to accomplish this?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2013

You've been bitten by Atlassian's rather annoying "open by default" approach (it's only annoying because you have to spend ages unpicking it, which can be a pain when you've been using Jira for a while)

• Go through your permission schemes and remove all use of the group "jira users".
  • Go through all the projects and remove the group from all roles, remembering that where you remove it, you'll need to add people back into the role to let them in again.
  • In the future, do not use "Jira users" for *anything* other "can log in" (and maybe bulk-edit and browse users - but never in a workflow, role or permission scheme).

Suggest an answer