How do I configure JIRA's SMTP Mail Server to send notifications?

Stephen Walsh May 10, 2012

Currently (default setup) we don't seem to be getting notifications.

This help document..

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+JIRA%27s+SMTP+Mail+Server+to+Send+Notifications

..would seem to indicate that we need to set up the "outgoing mail" feature of JIRA.

However, when I go to Administration > System > Mail, there is no "Outgoing mail" link.

If I use the keyboard short g + g + "outgoing mail" it finds nothing.

I am using the account I used to create the JIRA account so I presume I have global JIRA System Administrator permission.

Help!

Stephen

dashqc.atlassian.com

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Azwandi Mohd Aris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2012

An SMTP server should have already been pre-configured for your instance. If you are not receiving notifications, it is most likely a configuration issue. For example, have you set a notification scheme for your project?

Thank you for this tip.

The only notification scheme currently is "Default Notification Scheme". It seems to be set up fine with notifications supposed to be going to All Watchers, Reporter & Current Assignee for a host of triggers, including "Issue Commented" that we have been failing to get notifications for.

I note that the Project column is empty, so it's as if the "Default Notification Scheme" is not being applied to any projects, but I see no way to add a project, or in fact do anything but choose from:

.. none of which allows me to set projects.

Help!

Thanks,

Stephen

TimT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2012

Stephen, you can set the notification scheme for a project from the project administration page:

1. Go to Administration
  2. Click "All N Projects" (it will have the number of projects for your instance)
  3. Click the name of your project
  4. Look for the "Notifications" panel (lower-right)
  5. Look for the "Scheme" row
  6. Click "None"
  7. Click the "Actions" drop down (upper-right)
  8. Choose "Select a scheme"
  9. Choose "Default Notification Scheme"
  10. Click "Associate"

Thanks guys, it works.

Suggest an answer