How do I clone a project?

Luciano Arruda September 4, 2013

We have a template project and would like to create new projects using the same configuration. Where is the button to do that?

15 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

14 votes
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2016

This question should be getting a new answer. You can indeed create a new project with an existing project as a template.

• When you create a new project from a template, that project is created with its own fresh set of schemes. These schemes are:
    • a permission scheme
    • a notification scheme
    • an issue security scheme
    • a workflow scheme
    • an issue type scheme
    • an issue type screen scheme
    • a field configuration scheme

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/defining-a-project-776636280.html

Works for JIRA 7 and above.

Roy Niyongabo May 27, 2016

@Timothy Chin can you tell me exactly how to create a new project with an existing project as a template. that will really help me so far

Like # people like this
Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2016

From the documentation:

"When you are creating a new project, select Create with shared configuration to select an existing project and to use that project's schemes. Note that when you're sharing schemes, any change to the scheme will affect all the projects using that scheme."

jira proj.png

Like # people like this
Mark Sandy December 18, 2016

Well, this does not copy anything. However, quite handy.

Like # people like this
Martin Gregory November 20, 2017

Specifically - it doesn't copy the components from the previous project :(

Like # people like this
Reg Hawkins January 23, 2018

I get a 500 error message when trying to clone a project

Deleted user May 29, 2018

Definitely need the ability to copy an entire project

Like # people like this
Andrew Chatterton June 14, 2018

hi, does anybody know whether any of the cloning project add-ons you can get on-line enable cloning of other add-on data? I'm working with ATM as a Test Management Add-on to JIRA and want to be able to clone a project including Test Management set up so that I can have a full project template complete with TM aspects for use by new projects.

David Etheridge August 23, 2018

Ridiculous? Not hardly. Dismissing this feature out of hand is shortsighted.

Like # people like this
Aidan Millar-Powell November 23, 2020

It's completely insane this is feature is not available as default. Cloning a project for repeated engagements is not an outrageous idea.

Like # people like this
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 25, 2020

Hi @Aidan Millar-Powell,

We've just released an update of our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira that enables you to clone entire projects, including issues, configurations, components and versions. 

You can access the new feature over the bulk clone dialog. Just select "Clone project..." as target project. 

deep-clone-jira_project-clone_screen1.png

Please note: Currently this feature is only available for classic projects due to technical reasons.

Let us know if you have feedback or questions about this update.

AxxiHELP December 25, 2020

how much is it?

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 4, 2021

The pricing depends on the size of your Jira instance. Here you can find more details about the pricing of Deep Clone for Jira.

37 votes
Daniel Schwörer February 25, 2019

Atlassian, no solution for this in 6 years (besides paid 3rd party apps) ... seriously?

ricardodemoraes October 25, 2019

Isso é tão básico... ter que configurar um projeto todo do zero toda vez que criar um é muito iniciante... no asana.com isso é default

Like mohammed ounouna likes this
Mario Campello October 28, 2020

Pode botar mais um ano aí...

24 votes
kian kiaee May 5, 2016

This is really inconvenient. Clone of a project should be really easy to add as a feature. 

Biradar Dayanand July 19, 2017

Yes needs to as a feature. 

Like # people like this
12 votes
Shakeel Shaik October 22, 2018

So do we have any concrete way of cloning the project, When I say "Cloning", Literally copying everything. (Just a clone of my project)!?

7 votes
David Connelly January 20, 2019

It's crazy that you can't have project templates that INCLUDE issues/tasks, and be able to create a new project that includes everything. So frustrating. 

JIRA Core is pitched as a Marketing Project Management solution and we have so many projects that have the same implementation. To create a clone of all the issues from the template project takes about an hour, when it should be a simple click. 

Pieter-Jan Liekens November 27, 2019

true

Like abe.naoki likes this
Marketplace Partner
November 27, 2019

Hi David, hi Pieter-Jan,

if you have to clone the template issues on a regular basis it's maybe more cost effective for you to work with Deep Clone for Jira.

With our cloud app it's possible to bulk clone more than 1000 issues at once. You can also move the issues to another project while cloning.

If you have questions or feedback don't hesitate to get in touch with us at support@codefortynine.com.

Update Nov 25, 2020: 

We've just released an upate for Deep Clone for Jira that enables you to clone projects, including issues, components and versions.

You access the new feature over the bulk clone dialog. Just select "Clone project..." as target project when configuring your bulk clone.

Please note: Due to technical reasons, this feature is only available for classic projects.

We're curious to get your feedback about this update.

4 votes
Deleted user March 13, 2019

Hi, 

Has anybody found a solution to having a project template which includes a set of default tickets that can be used when creating a new project? 

It seems like something that should be relatively straight forward, so I'm thinking I'm missing something, but judging by previous comments here, it doesn't seem like this is functionality that exists. 

Can I bulk clone a list of default tickets within JIRA does anybody know, using the Bulk Edit function?

Marketplace Partner
October 28, 2019

With  our cloud app Deep Clone for Jira you can bulk clone up to 5000 issues at once.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with us at support@codefortynine.com if you have questions or feedback.

Update Nov 25, 2020:

As mentioned in my post above, we've released an update recently that enables you to clone projects, including a set of tickets.

Let us know, if you have feedback about this update.

Like Darren Ryan likes this
2 votes
Julio Carepa February 20, 2019

issue dates back to 2013. Still, it seems to me like a solution is pending. If only the bulk changes to issues allowed the option "clone to another project" it would save a lot of time in a relatively simple way

2 votes
forvenus January 27, 2019

Hi, there's a paid App: ScriptRunner can do the clone.

FYI: How-to: Copy a Project Script - ScriptRunner for Jira Server

TECS JIRA Admin May 11, 2020

The built-in ScriptRunner script to copy a project worked like a champ.

Thank you.

2 votes
Nnamdi Jideani November 12, 2018

I can't believe there's no solution for this. Most development and project management apps have this feature.

2 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2013

Hi Luciano,

Alternatively, if your instance is not compatible with the plugin mentioned by Timothy, you could use the JIRA CLI plugin as mentioned in this KB - Clone/Copy and Entire JIRA Project

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2013

Or, if you're just not that keen on plugins, you could do it the old-fashioned way : Exporting a backup, and then performing project imports.

Thomas Bachmann March 27, 2014

We use Jira OnDemand, will the JIRA CLI plugin also work here and how would the CLI command look like?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2014

Yes and here is the documentation link: JIRA Command Line Interface.

More specifically, you will need the cloneProject action with the parameters that match your requirements. It provides granularity in what aspects of the project to copy, so you need to specify.

Thomas Bachmann March 27, 2014

But don't I have to buy that plugin license to be allowed to use the JIRA CLI which is not available for OnDemand?

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2014

Yes, I recommend a trial license to verify this is a good solution for you.

1. Go to CLI Plugin for JIRA
  2. Try it free
  3. It is a download plugin, but you do not need to install it. It is just for licensing.
  4. Install the client - see Installation and Use
Nana Thompson May 31, 2018

I cannot understand why my credentials don't work even if I am an admin

1 vote
Simon Mackay July 26, 2018

Just to update this thread.  

1. Create Project.
  2. Choose a Template. Scroll to the bottom of the list and Choose "Create with Shared Configuration".
  3. Choose a project from the list that you want to "clone"

Just remember that changes to the original will affect the clone.  you can, however, customise your new project separately (I assume that if you then change the original it only changes the non-customised parts).

Kateri Tyre August 9, 2018

What does this copy exactly? All the schemes associated with a project? (Issue Type, Workflow, Screens, Fields, Permissions, Notifications?) Does this ALSO bring over the Components? I need a global field with the same data inside every single project at our organization and would like to use Components in this manner but hella forum posts suggest this is not possible to use as a global field. This seems to be a VERY common request.

We don't have a "Jira Admin" position at our company and we don't want to lose ANY engineering velocity setting up a new project with the appropriate fields/data. We want to empower engineers to make new projects with ease. Please help.

Simon Mackay August 23, 2018

Give the above suggestion a try and then check the results to confirm if it carries across your desired settings.

Martin Gregory August 23, 2018

Ooo Ooo I know the answer: it doesn't.

The specific item that Kateri was asking about is Components, and these are not copied in projects created with shared configuration.

In fact, that is why it is called "Create with shared configuration" and not "Clone", and also why this isn't the solution for this question.

Typically, people who are looking to clone projects want to do so because there are items like components and even tickets that should be cloned - the default set of tickets that all projects should have.

Like # people like this
1 vote
tminguet August 11, 2017

Hello All,

Any news for this? Should be really easy to do, just duplicate a project.

Thanks

Vlad Gomzyakov August 11, 2017

Still can't clone a project but the workaround is to clone issues. Since you can perform mass actions to them in the issues navigator and can find all necessary issues in a given project with needed criteria.

1 vote
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2014

Hi Luciano,

You can use the Copy project buildin script.

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-CopyProject

Regards

Onkar Ahire

1 vote
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2013
Kateri Tyre August 23, 2018

this doesn't work for cloud and it's a paid add on.

0 votes
Karri Adkins October 23, 2018

I did this the other day and was able to copy a project, the entire set up, permissions, workflows, permissions, everything.  It was awesome.  This is available when you click to create a new project, there is an option to "share settings with an existing project", when selected, it creates your new project with all the settings from that project you choose.

Martin Gregory October 23, 2018

This is not a clone, as other have observed.

This is what it says it is:  a new project with shared settings.

A clone would have a copy of all tickets, so the master serves as a starting point for new projects with all the same default tickets etc.

Like # people like this
Shakeel Shaik October 23, 2018

@[deleted] Yes, you are right, I am looking for a full clone of a project from classic to Next-Gen, Not just the settings.

@Erika Sa Can you please help us with this?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question