How do I check for permissions with JQL?

Philip Schlesinger April 27, 2015

Hi all,

JIRA 6.2.3

So we're migrating a bunch of component values to a single select-list custom field; we're doing this because components are multi-select; we want the list of options to be single-select.

We do have ScriptRunner, but I'm a real n00b on it, so I'd rather use JQL queries and then Bulk Change them in 1,000 qty batches.  Much more control that way.

The problem is that some of our projects have been archived (i.e. browse-only).  I'd rather not mess with those.

If I don't exclude projects from the JQL which are browse-only, then when browse-only tickets are included in Bulk Change, the Edit tickets option is made N/A on the second screen.

With JQL, how do I check to see if I have Edit Issue permission as an administrator?  Or how do I exclude in JQL projects which are in a certain permission scheme?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2015

You can't.  JQL searches for issues based on fields, not permissions. The only permissions that matter is "if I can't see the issue, don't include it in the results".  There might be a couple of JQL functions in addons on the marketplace that do this, but I've not stumbled across any.

Suggest an answer