How do I change the sprint start date in Portfolio?

Justin Lukasavige March 8, 2015

This is for a new install of Portfolio. The documentation says that sprint start dates are based on the start date for releases. I have 3/16/15 set for all of my releases but my sprints are starting on 3/23 which is one week off for my 2 week schedule.

Everything in the backlog is set to the same date (3/16). 

Removing Earliest Start dates from all of the backlog items and letting it calculate still has sprints starting on 3/23.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2015

Hi Justin, sprints are indeed expected with the start date of the first release configured in the releases tab. If there are multiple release streams, the earlierst release across all streams is taken for the start of the first sprint. It should not be necessary to set any start dates on the items themselves. 

That said, there might be another root cause why it behaves differently.

Have you done a plan update as part of trying the product? You could see that if you look at the first label in the timeline: Does it say "23/3 - Start" or "23/3 - Update" ? An update is normally used to keep the plan updated regularly, and "plan forward" from a given point in time, thus the start date is moved forward as well to what you set in the update from date dialog. If this is the case, you can "reset" the plan update date by choosing "Plan > Update from date", and select a date prior to March 16 - always the later date of the release and plan udpate is taken. 

If you can't make sense of it still, feel free to send along/attach an anonymous plan export (Plan > Export > Render data anonymous) so we can take a quick look. 

Cheers, Martin

Elizabeth Salvage September 27, 2016

Hi - are you please able to advise how to do this in Portfolio 2.0

thanks

Quang P July 20, 2017

Hi, where can I find "Plan > Update from date"? Thank you

ChristianWaidner February 16, 2018

@Martin Osusky: Where do I find Plan->update from date?

Martin Osusky February 16, 2018

@ChristianWaidner Sorry, wrong Martin.

3 votes
Miriam McGinty-Lowe June 9, 2016

Do you know where I can find similar in Portfolio 2.0?

Ammar Yasir August 31, 2016

Did you figure it out?

0 votes
Justin Lukasavige March 8, 2015

Martin, thank you! I looked at that forever and remember reading about the Update From Date so thanks for the reminder. I set it for 3/2 and it all fell into place with the correct dates for our sprints. Thanks a bunch.

Suggest an answer