How do I change the icons for Priority and Issue Types?

Jill Pate June 27, 2012

My boss doesn't like the arrows.

8 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2012

Administration -> Priorities

Administration -> Statuses

In both cases, you'll be offered "edit icon" links and you can select your own (including remote icons). I like changing the "bug" icon to something that looks like it's got six legs and wings :-) I quite like one of my old clients who changed their priorities to number icons (1 in red, 2 in amber, 3 in blue, etc), and another lot who changes them to smiley faces - shock and horror for the top priority, and a non-committal "meh" face for trivial stuff.

Bear in mind the changes are global - once a bug is a bug icon, it's an insect throughout your Jira

5 votes
Srini Srini June 27, 2012

In Admin section - Issue Types and Priority - you will have the Edit option - change the icons.

You can find the location where the icons are stored in the server and you can also put your own icons in the locaiton and use them

-Srini

3 votes
Alexander Bartash September 18, 2019
0 votes
Lucas Germani March 13, 2018

It's possible to change priority icons to just one project? Or just for the whole JIRA?

0 votes
Jill Pate June 27, 2012

I know where to do it in JIRA and the fact that I can use the built in ones in JIRA, but my boss doesn't like the ones that JIRA provides - feels they don't describe the Priority. How do I find the URLs for icons? I see how I can download them.

Is is possible for JIRA to place the icons on their server that I access?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2012

If you want to use other icons, then you have to place them somewhere that your Jira can see and use them. I use an image repository we have on the same network as our Jira (because I can check them into source control and know they'll be updated automatically shortly afterwards), but if you want them to be served up by Jira (which is probably the best approach because icons inside Jira are always going to be available), then you'll need to recompile the application .war or .ear to include them.

0 votes
Jill Pate June 27, 2012

Thank you for your responses.

JIRA is Cloud based, so that is where I am unclear as to where I save the new icons.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2012

You can use the ones built into the Jira system you're using, or just point at urls for your icons.

Suggest an answer