How do I change the default login provider for my Jira instance

Toby White October 17, 2012

We have a mix of users, some from a linked Google account, some of whom just have an Atlassian account.

The vast majority of users are *not* Google users.

However, when users land on the login page, and click 'loing', it will try and log them in via google by default. To login otherwise, users have to click on the Atlassian logo first.

This is frustrating because our users neither know nor care about the difference. They've never heard of Atlassian & they don't recognise the logo. Also, lots of them have personal gmail accounts.

This results in an endless stream of support requests to my email from users complaining that they can't login - because they've either not noticed that there is a choice of login providers, - or they have, but they;ve never heard of atlassian so they assume it's not for them - or they've chosen google and are trying to log in to their personal google accounts.

How can I change the UI so that the default is to provide the Atlassian login form. My users who should be using Google are all savvy enough to know to change it themselves.

Alternatively, how can I add text to the login page to explain to users what they should do.

EDIT: to be clear it is this page I want to edit: https://timetric.atlassian.net/login

I want to either

1) make the default login be Atlassian, not Google, or

2) add a big message saying "before logging in, click on the funny-looking logo to the right of the google logo".

2 answers

0 votes
TimT
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

Toby,

We've gotten feedback from a number of users that the choice between login providers can be confusing. We've tweaked the design now to make both login options visible at all times, and to clarify that the Google login option only applies for users on your specific Google Apps domain.

new-login-ui

This change is already live on all instances, as of today. I hope it helps you and your users, but we'd love to get more feedback, so please let us know.

Thanks,

Tim Moore

Development Lead, Atlassian OnDemand

Toby White October 18, 2012

Thanks, that's definitely much better. To be honest, though I can still see at least some of my users getting confused.

They've heard of google, they've never heard of Atlassian OnDemand - I suspect a fair number of them will click on google, just because they've heard of it.

Broadly speaking our users don't know whether they are Google users or AOD users - but they do know if they have accounts on systems X or Y. So I''d like to be able to add a message saying " if you are an X user, please choose 'google' - if you are a Y user, please choose AOD.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 17, 2012

Hi Toby,

This is to answer

Alternatively, how can I add text to the login page to explain to users what they should do.

You can use the "Introduction" gadget and set the message being displayed in the gadget by going to "Administration" -> General Settings.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+the+Introduction+Gadget

You can include html in your gadget. See how it is being used on the login page here

https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Toby White October 17, 2012

I don't want to change the dashboard though, I want to change the *login* page. Maybe I'm being slow, but I can't see how to add a widget to the login page.

The link you've given isn't to a login page, that's to the system dashboard. The login page is at https://jira.atlassian.com/login.jsp - that's the page I want to add a message to.

Suggest an answer