How do I change the Owner of an Agile Board?

SeanM March 18, 2015

John Doe is the owner of Agile Board ABC.  John has left the company so I need to change the owner of his boards to someone else.  How do I do that.  

When I go to the configuration of a board at (https://mycompany.jira.com/secure/RapidView.jspa?rapidView=92) I see John listed as the owner, an no way of changing that.  I've seen other postings that suggest there would be a little pencil icon next to the Owner field (as there is next to the Administrators field) that I could click to make the change, but there isn't any pencil icon.

I have full administrator rights to Jira.  How do I change the person listed as owner of a board?

3 answers

20 votes
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2015

OK ... I took longer than I had hoped to find this solution ... here's what to do for each board where the owner has left the company.

1. Agile -> Manage Boards -> All Boards -> find the board 
  2. Click on the three dots next to it, choose "Configure".
  3. On the "Configure (Board)" page, note the exact name of the "Saved Filter".
  4. type gg, then shared. JIRA should offer "Shared Filters".
  5. find the filter whose name you noted in step 3
  6. Click the cog wheel to the right and choose "Change owner".
  7. Set the new owner for the shared filter. This will automatically also change the ownership of the board.

(At least this is how it works in JIRA 6.4)

Sami Huttunen February 14, 2016

Thanks for sharing!

Eva Hutson January 17, 2017

Thank you, this tip was so helpful smile

Di Za September 27, 2017

Does anyone have an idea how can I change the "Shared Filter" owner in Jira v7.1.9? 

Divya Yathagiri Venkata October 20, 2017

Hi David, I am on JIRA v7.3.7 and I followed the above steps to change owner of the filter. The filter's ownership now shows the new name but board's ownership still shows the previous person's name. Please suggest.

Dimitry Shvartsman November 19, 2017

This was a major help as I was stuck with the exact situation. Thanks for the assistance. Jira should update it's documentation to include this option

Linda H April 18, 2019

Works like a charm.  Thank you!!

Dayana Boyanova October 11, 2019

Where is the Agile button? 

Like # people like this
Jonny Polivka January 16, 2020

This worked for me.  Only change was to step one, I just navigated to 'View all boards' off of Boards drop down menu, then the rest was spot on.

Ilya Kaplan January 6, 2021

Thanks! There's no chance in the world that I'd find it on my own. It's the most complicated way to do such a simple thing.
I can't understand why it wasn't possible to just allow changing owner from filter details popup, it at least have a link from there to shared filters view...

K Venture Development June 27, 2021

Worked, thanks a lot!

1 vote
khanh nguyen March 18, 2015

You need to hover over the Administrators field to show the 'little pencil' then click the pencil.

SeanM March 18, 2015

Thank you, but that doesn't solve the problem I'm asking about. I know there is an edit icon next to the Administrators field. (I mentioned it myself in the question I asked.) I don't want to change the Administrators, I want to change the <b>Owner</b>. Is there a way to do <b>that</b>?

Ramesh Kagitha July 9, 2015

You need to change the owner of the filter which is been used by the agile board. So the solution is to edit the filter that is being used then the owner of the board also gets changed.

Like Tracy B likes this
Tracy B September 17, 2019

Searching the boards is always the easiest way to find an answer in Jira.

0 votes
Jeffrey Grow July 19, 2017

I'm in the cloud version and wondering if the configurations are different because I cannot change the owner either.

Suggest an answer