How do I change the Owner of an Agile Board?

John Doe is the owner of Agile Board ABC.  John has left the company so I need to change the owner of his boards to someone else.  How do I do that.  

When I go to the configuration of a board at (https://mycompany.jira.com/secure/RapidView.jspa?rapidView=92) I see John listed as the owner, an no way of changing that.  I've seen other postings that suggest there would be a little pencil icon next to the Owner field (as there is next to the Administrators field) that I could click to make the change, but there isn't any pencil icon.

I have full administrator rights to Jira.  How do I change the person listed as owner of a board?

3 answers

OK ... I took longer than I had hoped to find this solution ... here's what to do for each board where the owner has left the company.

1. Agile -> Manage Boards -> All Boards -> find the board 
  2. Click on the three dots next to it, choose "Configure".
  3. On the "Configure (Board)" page, note the exact name of the "Saved Filter".
  4. type gg, then shared. JIRA should offer "Shared Filters".
  5. find the filter whose name you noted in step 3
  6. Click the cog wheel to the right and choose "Change owner".
  7. Set the new owner for the shared filter. This will automatically also change the ownership of the board.

(At least this is how it works in JIRA 6.4)

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, this tip was so helpful smile

Di Za I'm New Here Sep 27, 2017

Does anyone have an idea how can I change the "Shared Filter" owner in Jira v7.1.9? 

Hi David, I am on JIRA v7.3.7 and I followed the above steps to change owner of the filter. The filter's ownership now shows the new name but board's ownership still shows the previous person's name. Please suggest.

This was a major help as I was stuck with the exact situation. Thanks for the assistance. Jira should update it's documentation to include this option

You need to hover over the Administrators field to show the 'little pencil' then click the pencil.

Thank you, but that doesn't solve the problem I'm asking about. I know there is an edit icon next to the Administrators field. (I mentioned it myself in the question I asked.) I don't want to change the Administrators, I want to change the <b>Owner</b>. Is there a way to do <b>that</b>?

You need to change the owner of the filter which is been used by the agile board. So the solution is to edit the filter that is being used then the owner of the board also gets changed.

I'm in the cloud version and wondering if the configurations are different because I cannot change the owner either.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,335 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot