How do I change it so the time estimate fields are only used for technical sub-tasks?

Sean McCleary August 9, 2012

I don't want a bug reporter, or story requester, to see the fields relevant to time estimates. I'd like to only use them for technical sub-tasks.

For custom fields, this is easy. When I add a new custom field, it asks me which screens I'd like it to apply to, and which issue types.

But for existing fields, like the time estimate field, I don't see anywhere where I can select which issue types it should be relevant to.

2 answers

1 vote
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

You will need to create different screen schemes. One for the technical sub-task, which has a screen or screens with work logging in it/them, and then either one screen scheme for all other issue types (or one for each, if they each have different field needs) where you do not have work logging in the create screen but do for the edit and/or view screen(s).

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2012

Time tracking fields (orginal estimate, remaining estimate) are shown based on whether you add/remove the field by the 'Time Tracking' in the screen.

For work logging, AFAIK, you cannot remove it directly per issue type. But you can achieve that part with with a javascript workaround. Add this to the announcement banner (change the issue type name as needed)

<script type='text/javascript'>
AJS.$(document).ready(function() {
    var type = AJS.$("#type-val").find('img').eq(0).attr("alt");
    if(type != 0 && type != "Bug") {
        AJS.$("#timetrackingmodule").hide();
        AJS.$("#log-work").hide();
    }
});
</script>

Sean McCleary August 12, 2012

Hi Renjith,

I don't specifically want to remove the work logging. I don't mind if people log work on any kind of issue.

I just want to remove the fields that ask for time estimates when creating a new issue, unless it's a technical sub-task. Is that possible?

Suggest an answer