How do I change database settings in Jira?

Felix Rabinovich January 24, 2018

I installed Jira awhile ago on a Windows box, and now I am moving the database (SQL Server) to a different server. All instructions seem to describe how to set up db during initial installation, or by modifying dbconfig.xml which I can't find.

System configuration screen shows me the DB connection, and gives database monitoring - but I can't find out how to make DB change without reinstalling

P.S. I created a question here, because it was the link in Jira help. If I should have created a question in Jira forum - I apologize. I don't want to cross-post unles administrators instruct me to do so :)

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

Hi Felix,

I would recommend following the procedure here:

See under Migrating JIRA's data to the same type of database if your database version is staying the same but only the server is changing.

Otherwise, there are instructions there as well to move to a different database type and server.

If you get stuck let us know which step you're having trouble with and we can help.

Regarding the collection, you said that you created a Jira question in Confluence because you were told to in Jira help? Can you let me know what you meant by that? 

Since this is not related to Confluence I did go ahead and move it to the Jira Questions collection since that's where you'll get most help, from other Jira users, and not Confluence users. I hope that clarifies things!

Regards,

Shannon

Thank you, Shannon. This is exactly the document that I was following. In step 4 it gives two options: run config.bat or modify dbconfig.xml. As I mentioned, there is no dbconfig.xml under Jira installation directory.

What I didn't mention, I am getting an error when I run config.bat. For some reason call "%~dp0\check-java" gives me "The system cannot find the path specified.". When I uncomment echo, I see that it tries to run check-java and fails when invoked from bat file. But I was able to run the final command (java ...) directly, without going through config.bat

Anyway, long story short - I see that I have C:\Program Files\JIRA where the application is installed; and there is C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\ where Application Data resides and all configuration files, including dbconfig.xml. Apparently, JIRA Home directory was set during the installation irrespective of the actual installation directory.

I hope you guys fix those little idiosyncrasies... But at this time I am all set. Thanks.

One follow-up question... compatibility matrix says that Jira supports MS SQL 2012 and 2014 (least popular versions, by the way). Do you have an estimate of when 2016 and/or 2017 support is coming?

Thank you

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 25, 2018

Felix,

There's no estimation at this time, but you can follow the requests below for updates:

Please vote to show you're interested as well! It helps us keep track of the demand.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2018

Sorry, reviewing your earlier question and will get back to you on it. :) 

Shannon

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
January 25, 2018

Felix,

Regarding the dbconfig.xml file, it is installed in the Home Directory as stated in the documentation, and not in the Jira directory where your installation files are located.

In regards to your Jira home being set, you have to set it before you start Jira. See Installing Jira applications on Windows from a zip file for the instructions. There are one of two ways:

Edit the jira-application.properties file...

Edit <installation-directory>\atlassian-jira\WEB-INF\classes\jira-application.properties file in any text editor.

After jira.home add the absolute path to your home directory. You will need to escape the backslashes, for example:

jira.home=X:\\path\\to\\jira-home

If you define an UNC path you will need to double escape the leading backslash, for example:

jira.home=\\\\machinename\\path\\to\\jira-home

Set an environment variable...

You can set an environment variable named JIRA_HOME in your operating system with the absolute path to your <home-directory>.

Open Command Prompt and execute the following:

set JIRA_HOME=X:\path\to\jira-home

where x is the drive where you created your <home-directory>.

You can then specify the command above in a script used to start JIRA.

The documentation asks you to specify the entire path including C:\, and it will create the directory where you specify.

I hope that's clear but do let me know if you have any further questions!

Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer