How do I change a project type?

Dustin Suchter April 25, 2015

I have a JIRA Cloud project that was created with "Simple Issue Tracking" and I'd like to switch that to the richer "Software Development" type. How do I accomplish this?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2015

The "project type" is a template, not a persistent setting.  When you create a project, you select a type and get a project with settings (i.e. "schemes") for that type, but it then has no effect past that.

To change a project from one type to another, just go to project admin and change all the schemes.

Update, for anyone else who lands here, this was an answer for JIRA 6 and below.  In JIRA 7, it's under Project Administration -> Actions -> Change project type

Dustin Suchter April 25, 2015

Sorry I'm asking for a more literal step-by-step. The interface is not intuitive and I can't figure out what to change. For example, (1) get to your project admin page (2) click on "Project Template" (3) click on the "pencil" to edit (4) etc etc.

Can you please give me the step by step?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2015

As I said, the project templates only exist for project creation. Once it is created, they have no function, they're just a set of "use these settings when creating the project" To change the "type", you need to work out what schemes you want to use and then change the project to use them. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project

Marc Herlin November 23, 2015

I understood how to change the schemes but how to change the project type's label in the Browse Projects screen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2015

Ah, you can't (yet)

Technical Services January 29, 2016

In JIRA 7.0.10

Project Administration -> Actions -> Change project type

Marc Herlin January 29, 2016

THIS is what I was searching for! Thanks !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 29, 2016

Yes, in 7, you can change the type.  I was talking about 6 in April.

Florian Fahrenberger February 14, 2016

While this sounds very helpful for JIRA 7, I can not find the "Change project type" action on JIRA 7.1.0 for the life of me. I don't know if it moved again or if I am really this incapable... does anyone else see this problem?

EDIT: Ah, I see: I guess I can not yet change it during the evaluation period. My bad, sorry about the confusion. I'll change it as soon as we have the proper license then.

Lavoisier J.L.Farias July 25, 2016

Hi, where can I find the option at JIRA 6.5 ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2016

There is no JIRA 6.5, but for all versions of 6, please re-read the last paragraph in my original answer

Anney October 9, 2018

Hi, 

I have the JIRA admin access but I don't have an option to change the Project Type? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 9, 2018

Either you only have Jira Core (so there's no Software or Service Desk type available to move to), or you've created an "independent project" which cannot be changed to other types.

0 votes
Sophie Munck March 22, 2018

Hello

I cannot change my projects' templates for scrum. They are predefined as agile. I don't know where to find "project administration". I'm on the latest version. Can someone show me the step by step please ?

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2018

Go into the project and look for the admin/settings cog at the bottom left which leads to project admin.

Thank you ! And do you know if it's possible to customise the number of columns in the backlog ? I cannot add and change their names... is it because it's a scrum template ? (it works if its a agile template)

Thank you again :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2018

What do you mean by columns?

In the active sprints, after backlog

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2018

So not the backlog, but the actual board?

Yes, here. I would like to customise these columns the sprint columns

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2018

Same as Kanban - Board config -> Columns

Thanks !

Priya_Rao May 20, 2019

Hi 

We have Jira ServiceDesk. Will it be possible to create Agile/Scrum project in this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2019

Only if you have added Jira Software to it as well.

Suggest an answer