How do I change a project's Field Context (aka Custom Field Configuration)

Ben Green July 15, 2016

I have a custom field select-box called Division. I have two configuration schemes each used to set the default selection based on project for all issue types. Half of the projects are in one configuration, the other half in the other configuration. 

One of my projects has changed Divisions, so I want to move it from one configuration to the other. When I go to the Edit Configuration screen, the project is not available in the project list. I assume because it is already in use in the other configuration. However I can't seem to remove it from it's current configuration. 

Here are instructions to configure contexts for custom fields: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-a-custom-field-802592532.html#Configuringacustomfield-configureConfiguringacustomfield

The instructions do not say how to move a project to a different configuration/context once it has been added to one. 

What is the correct way to associate this project with a different configuration? 

4 answers

1 vote
Ben Green July 15, 2016

Thanks Tom. Your instructions are to change the Field Configuration Scheme, but I want to change the Custom Field Configuration Scheme aka Field Context.

Here are instructions to configure contexts for custom fields: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-a-custom-field-802592532.html#Configuringacustomfield-configureConfiguringacustomfield

The instructions do not say how to move a project to a different configuration/context once it has been added to one. 

0 votes
Deleted user February 19, 2019

OK, don't think it should be a problem;

Review the link Ben provided for some background;

"Here are instructions to configure contexts for custom fields: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/configuring-a-custom-field-802592532.html#Configuringacustomfield-configureConfiguringacustomfield"

Go to the field you want to modify and click the Gear on the right. Choose the Configure option.

You should see multiple Configuration Schemes. click on the gear for the scheme you want to remove the project from

Under the "Choose application context" section (actually the projects using this scheme - go figure how they got that label) and deselect the project you want to change to another configuration, click on Modify.

Then again, go to the field you want to change to the new schema and click the Gear on the right. Choose the Configure option.

You should again see multiple Configuration Schemes. click on the gear for the new scheme you want to now use for the project

Under the "Choose application context" section add the project you want to change to this new configuration and click on Modify.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help.

Cheers!

0 votes
Jane Brooks February 19, 2019

Also very much need this answer.

Deleted user February 19, 2019

0 votes
Deleted user July 15, 2016

Go to the Project settings view and under the Summary option click on the scheme in the Fields section. You can then change the scheme for that project. (Actions -> Use a different scheme)

Suggest an answer