How do I automatically move an issue from one project to another?

Schuyler Bishop March 31, 2016

We would like to find a way to automatically move issues from one project to another. For example: Issue status changes to "Approved" and issue automatically moves to a different project. Or, issue is reassigned which triggers issue being automatically moved to a different project, etc. There is no real criteria required except for the automation of issues moving from one project to another. 

Is there any way to do this? Using a plugin, post functions...anything? Thanks in advance. 

2 answers

0 votes
Maike_Lorenz February 7, 2018

Hi,

I have had the same issue and found a working solution for me.
So I like to share it :) .

We use "Automation for JIRA".
This is the tool that I use to solve this issue.
We use components in our projects. So we defined components to name different taget projects.
For example component: A => target project: "project A"
If a JIRA user sets the components of a ticket to "A", the ticket should be moved to "project A".

So I defined a automation rule with "Automation for JIRA":
If a ticket is changed and the new component if the ticket is "A", then clone the ticket to "project A" and delete it in this project.

This works fine for us :) !

Nachumi E February 13, 2018

Hello, That's what i have tried but unfortunately the sub-tasks didnt clone to the new project,

My goal is to move the issue and its sub-tasks and comments to another project. 

Is there a way to do it? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2018

That is a "clone and move new" action, not a "move issue".  As such, it's

• not an answer to the original question
  • not a move, clone does not clone the subtasks, only the parent
Joe Harmon June 12, 2018

Maike, this is pretty close to what we want to try as well, but one thing I liked about the move option is that it kept the old key as searchable.  That way the reference number was always there from the original project.  Did you see the same issue?

Charles Harris December 21, 2018

Another thing I noticed with the Move is that if it is a Service Desk request moved to Jira software project the customer has no visibility to the item any longer.  They can no longer see the status of their request.  

We considering a solution to create a new issue in the software portion and link the 2 issues.  Now we have to automate the changing of the statuses on the original issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2018

That's why the Agents have the option to "create linked issue (in a development project)"

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2016

You can certainly use a plugin but it is usually harder than you think. Each project can have its own workflows, field configurations, screens etc and the rules in target project (like a mandatory field) might prevent the move. And different workflows might require a workflow migration. And that is why JIRA doesn't offer it as a functionality (You have to use 'Move' which addresses all these concerns in different steps).

If the projects are identical, it is easier to do that in a plugin.

Schuyler Bishop April 4, 2016

Hi Jobin, do you have a specific plugin in mind?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

None that I can think of. I was suggesting about writing one!

Oliviu Nita September 19, 2016

Hi,

I was searched for this and i was having a feeling that is not possible or easy... at least i have something to show to my bosses smile

I will not start to make the plugin, is beyond my capabilities...

Have a nice day

Nathaniel Erlandson January 23, 2017

I achieved this mostly, but it is nowhere near as simple as just moving the ticket. The issue is what was referenced above, a move operation needs a lot of criteria from the agent to determine which fields should be kept/lost, etc. With different custom fields, you need a lot of values pre-set to tell JIRA or the plugin what to do with each issue.

I used Bob Swift's Create on transition to clone the ticket on the initial creation transition. This enabled me to run initial conditions checks on the issue to determine whether the issue needs to be "moved", then link the new issue to the original, as well as to pre-set all my custom fields so they would map correctly to the other project. This is not really moving the ticket, however, but creating a linked copy of the ticket in project you want the ticket moved to - this seems to be the only workable solution right now. Then, I used one of JWME's transitions to sync the linked issues' transitions, so that major workflow transitions would be set to the linked ticket as well. This is mainly so I wouldn't have to worry about one linked ticket being closed and another one floating around still open. 

If you really want to get nuts, there's also a workflow toolbox plugin that will allow you to take the last comment of an issue and copy it to a linked issue, effectively allowing you to clone comments between issues. My main problem here was that you couldn't run this transition on both projects' workflows, as it would create a notification loop. 

If someone could bring all these tools into one plugin, that would essentially allow ticket 'syncing' across projects, it would be a huge help. Because right now, to even get near a solution, you're talking about 3 or 4 plugins all working in tandem to bring one result that should be much easier than that.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer