How do I associate my custom email handler with my OnDemand project?

JS Neveu November 5, 2014

Hello everyone

I had defined a custom mail handler in my OnDemand instance. Somehow I had managed to make it so my project would use that handler, and not the default one. However there was an upgrade recently and my project fell back on the default handler. As I try to fix this, I can't find again how I could have associated my custom handler with my project.

In the Systems - Incoming Mail page, I see both handlers and there is a "Project" attribute which leads me to believe there should be a way to associate my project with my handler. But I don't see where.  In the meantime I simply deleted the default handler. Maybe that's what I did the first time around...

Thanks

js

2 answers

0 votes
JS Neveu November 6, 2014

Thanks for your answer Marcu,

I have a follow-up question though:

What if I have two handlers defined. The standard one defined by Atlassian (the name escapes me as I deleted it) and my custom handler.  Which one will my project use to handle incoming emails?

Thanks again

js

Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 8, 2014

Hi Jean, If you have two handlers configured for the same job (e.g. both adding issues and comments), both will try to process the mail messages once each of them run through the JIRA services. The default handler is only set to add comments so there will be no projects associated to it. You can simply add a custom handler to create issues and it will ask on which project you want to add your issues to in the creation setup.

0 votes
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2014

Hi Jean,

The Project field there is only used for handlers that create issues.

If you have a handler only for creating comments, you won't have a project associated to it as this handler will look for any issue key in the mail subject and add it to any issue in JIRA matching that issue key, no matter the project.

Hope this helps

Suggest an answer