How do I assign issues owned by an inactive user to an active user?

Mark Seymour October 20, 2015

I have an inactive user which is the reporter and assinee and has also made comments in many JIRA tickets.

I would like to replace this inactive user in these tickets with an active users.

Must I do this manually by opening all of the tickets?

Thanks for any advice.

Mark

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2015

If you filter for them you should be able to change the assignee with the bulk change function. You can't change the id associated with comments and I suggest you leave the reporter and comment id alone for historical accuracy. Leaving them doesn't harm anything and changing it destroys the integrity of the system's data.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2015

+1 for preserving the integrity/history of the issue.

1 vote
Jack Nolddor _Sweet Bananas_ December 12, 2017

Hi @Mark Seymour
 If you are using Jira Server you can install the FREE app called JQL Booster Pack throught Atlassian Marketplace and use the requested functionality.

After install this app, you should be able to create a query using inactiveUsers() function, that will allow you to find issues reported/assigned to inactive users.

After that you simply use a bulk operation to change the value of this fields

You can find the complete information about this JQL function at its Function Reference page.

Kind regards.

1 vote
Pilar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2015

I agree with Joe, Bulk editing is the only option for you to edit multiple issue's.

Firstly search for assignee=Inactive user and migrate all of them to active user and then repeat the same procedure for reporter=Inactive user.

Here is the link on how to do bulk edit

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/modifying-multiple-bulk-issues-185729606.html

Ivan Morozov July 31, 2016
  • The value 'Inactive' does not exist for the field 'assignee'.

Any idea?

Like Ornella Giordano likes this
Russell Siachico May 23, 2017

How did you guys get around this?

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2017

I thing with @Pilar wrote =Inactive user he was using 'inactive user' as a place holder for the users name.  The original question implied they knew the user they wanted to update. 

Suggest an answer