How do I assign a service desk user to be a watcher for specific issues in JIRA?

Louis Baiani December 5, 2014

Hi,

I am new to the service desk and having issues assigning users that have access to service desk projects via the portal to ordinary JIRA project issues.

When I try to assign a user I get:

There was an error adding watcher

• The user "xxx@xxxxxx" does not have permission to view this issue. This user will not be added to the watch list.

• Permission name: Add Comments

User: xxxxx

Project: yyyyyy

Permission scheme: Default Permission Scheme

Issue: zz-zzzz

StatusSummaryDetails

JIRA Service Desk does not override this permission

JIRA Service Desk does not override this permission

How would I grant a user that normally has access to the service desk to add issues the right to access only certain issues on other projects in which I (internally) have added for him?  I could move the issue to the service desk project however would prefer to keep as part of a main JIRA project.

I have tried changing the default permissions to include these specific JIRA service desk users as possible watchers without luck.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 23, 2014

Hi Louis,

If your user is a Service Desk only user, unfortunately, he won't be able to be added as watcher on any other issues than those of himself.

That happens because primarily, a Service Desk customer do not have access to the JIRA application at all, only to the Service Desk portal.

About this, there's an already created feature request that you might want to vote for and subscribe yourself as watcher:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-269

Please leave your comments and thoughts there and let us know your feedback over this matter.

Have a nice week and Happy Holidays!

Kind Regards,
*Andre D. Borzzatto*
Atlassian Support | *C* ^L^ o ~U~ _d_

Suggest an answer