How do I assign a number to the issues in a queue in ascending order?

akhilrajput July 25, 2017

I am trying to assign a number to the issues in the tickets based on the number of issues in the queue. Example: If there are 10 tickets the queue should show a number like issue 1, issue 2, issue 3 so on. if a issue is solved the issue is taken out of the queue the number should be assigned to the tickets in a round robin fashion. thanks in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

Jira does not give out numbers as you describe (becaue it's redundent and pointless).

If you are talking about helpdesk calls, then the number is useless because you should be looking at the next one that might breach the SLA.  If you're looking at a development "queue", then you should be ranking after grooming, not guessing based on incoming work.  If you're using plain JIRA then there is nothing resembling a queue.

I can't think of any real use for what you've described - it's either pointless, or handled better by SLA or sprint planning.

akhilrajput July 25, 2017

Can i give the next one breaching the SLA in the queue with a number by creating a custom field?

and also can you help me with the below question Nic

How to populate a custom field value based on Jira user data in the create screen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Not easily, because you would have to recalculate the number on almost any change made to issues in the queue.  Is there a reason you don't just look at the first item in the queue?

For the other question, you probably want a scripted field or possibly a behaviour.  Depends on the exact thing you're trying to do with it.

Kirk Reinoso July 26, 2021

I am looking for the same thing as @akhilrajput. Reason being is the business is constantly adding new tickets and we want to be able to show them everything they already have in the queue of tickets to be completed and they can rearrange the priority as they see fit.

Is there a way to create a custom field with that kind of ability?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

No, because of what I said above.

A number field that tries to do this is pretty much a useless concept.  Use the queues and/or ranking as intended, and it will allow you to do what you want.

Kirk Reinoso July 26, 2021

What do you mean by queues, is there a queue system in JIRA? I understand the ranking system, but if new things keep coming up, then we would still have to manually change the priority ranking (from highest priority to lowest)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

Yes, Jira Service Management has Queues in it.  You can sort them by pretty much anything you want.  You don't get to change ratings directly in a queue, but you can base queues on priority amongst other things.

Do not mix up priority with ranking though.  They are different things.

Suggest an answer