How do I add swimlane columns and statuses

james_wolodkiewicz January 19, 2021

I have projects I want to add a swimlane column but the "statuses" are not available to me to get the swimlane to show up.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

You would not generally want to use status in swimlanes.  Because columns are already based on status, you'll end up with mostly empty board cells and it wouldn't tell you anything more than a board without swimlanes at all.

I think you might be mixing up swimlanes with columns - could you confirm what you're really talking about?

Yes I have mixed up my terminology. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

Do you have any unmapped status in the board config?

When you say you don't get an "add status" button, and that you are an admin, are you a Jira or System admin?  Not just a project admin?

I am a JIRA administrator and project admin.

And there is one unmapped status in the board config.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2021

Ok, so I'm guessing you can map the unmapped status?

I suspec there is no "add status" because your board is using the workflow(s) provided by the project(s).  The add status is only an option when you're using a "simplified" workflow for all the projects and issue types the board is covering.

To get more status in your board, you'll need to add them to the workflow(s), then come back to the board config to map them.

0 votes
Answer accepted
KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi @james_wolodkiewicz 

Swimlanes are horizontal rows.

Can I get more information ?

Yes I have mixed up my terminology. I want to add a column which is straightforward. However, the new column needs a "status" added to get the column to appear in the project. The Add Status button mentioned in a video I watched does not appear even if I am logged in as an administrator.

KAGITHALA BABU ANVESH
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi , 

You can only able to add a new status , when all issue types are connected with " software simplified workflow" as of my knowledge. 

If you have multiple workflows for issutypes on that time " new status " is not possible

Suggest an answer