How do I add a version to a JIRA project?

Matthew Trunnell October 8, 2012

The documentation suggests there should be a versions tab on the projects summary view but I do not see it, nor is there an option under "edit project".

Is there something I have to enable to be able to expose the versions tab?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2012
Matthew Trunnell October 8, 2012

I guess I still don't understand. One has to use the CLI to add a version to a project before the versions tab shows up on Jira OnDemand? How does I use the CLI with OnDemand?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2012

Nope. Follow my answer. You are still not able to do it?

Matthew Trunnell October 9, 2012

I was able to do it using the CLI. I did not find a way through the web interface. In particular, there was no Versions tab on the Projects administration page, though the tab did appear once I used addVersion from the CLI.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2012

That's definitely not right. I am guessing that you are looking at the Browse screen and not in the administer screen. Anyways, you have got a way to move forward :)

0 votes
Matthew Trunnell October 14, 2012

Even with project manager role, I could not see the "Versions" tab on the Projects administration (or any) page.

After creating a version in the project using the CIL, the Versions tab appeared on the Projects administration page.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2012

It's on the administration page for an individual project, not the project lists or general administration scheme, and you have to make sure that you have the rights to administrate that project (not necessarily granted by having system-administraion rights). The fact you've added it with the CLI implies the account you used with the CLI has the correct rights, and hence if you log in with that account, you'll definitely be able to see the administration -> versions stuff.

Yes, the admin page for the individual project. I could not see the tab. I created a version via the CLI, hit reload on the web browser, and the version tab appeared.

Moreover, it is repeatable. If I create a new project, the version tab is not visible on the admin page for that project.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

Can you add a screenshot of when it is not present?

Sure. Here's a project I just created.

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2012

Screenshot missing?

But I actually do see the versions link on the project admin page. So it's not recreatable nor can I entirely rule out pilot error in the first report.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 14, 2012

I think you might be missing the point we're making - you keep banging on about a "version tab" and we're not telling you to even look for it, we're asking you to look at project administration:

1. There is no version tab until you've created a version.
  2. If you go to the "summary" of a project (that has no version), you should see an "administrate project" link
  3. That takes you to a screen with lots of project settings, including a section for "versions", which includes an "add version" link. (And, in fact, a versions tab DOES appear here, even when you have none)
  4. Once you've used that, then you'll have a versions tab on the non-admin stuff too

(All of which is mentioned on the link Jobin originally gave you)

Here is the screenshot. But, as I said, the versions link does show up in the admin page for this project.

Indeed. Since I cannot recreate, I cannot verify. Both the project manager and I believe we did look on the project admin page (per Jobin's link) and did not find versions as an option. But I'm willing to write this off as user error.

Thanks for everyone's patience and persistence.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2012

In the screenshot you've attached (which wasn't there when I scribbled my last comment, so I apologise for the crossover), you need to click the "administer project" near the top right. Then you'll get a screen full of project admin options, including two ways to get to versions.

Suggest an answer