How do I add a user to the system-administrators group?

Nassar Stoertz June 27, 2013

We signed up for an OnDemand account to eval JIRA last week, and I'm having problems understanding Jira's User Management, as follows:

On the "Global Permissions" screen I don't see "JIRA System Administrators" in the list of permissions. The documentation clearly shows that I should see this permission - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Global+Permissions#ManagingGlobalPermissions-About%27JIRASystemAdministrators%27and%27JIRAAdministrators%27. Instead I see only the following:

JIRA Administrators

JIRA Users

Browse Users

Create Shared Objects

Manage Group Filter Subscriptions

Bulk Change

On the Groups screen, I see a system-administrators group, but the only user in this group is sysadmin. I'd like to be have someone else on the team in this group.

So my questions are:

1. Should I be able to login as the sysadmin user? If so, how do I find out the password? If not, it seems strange that Atlassan would surface this user in the UI.

2. Should I be able to give groups the "JIRA System Administrators" permission? Ideally I'd give this permission to the administrator group.

3. Should I be able to add users to the system-administrators group? If so, how?

4. If no to all of the above, how do I modify, delete, or fix the System Dashboard, which currently shows several ugly errors:

There are problems with the current configuration for this gadget. The errors below may have been caused by the deletion of entities required by the gadget or by changes to your permissions.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2013

You can not use system-admin on an OnDemand installation - it is limited to Atlassian support. That covers questions 1-3

For answer 4, you should only need to be a Jira Admin (which you should be) to edit the System Dashboard, from the Admin -> System Dashboard link (not by just editing it, you need to go via admin)

Suggest an answer