How do I add a test user (external client) to Confluence / JIRA ?

Jiju Mathew October 18, 2017

I'm trying to add an external client, say, TEST to confluence / Jira.

I created a user (TEST) but via Site Adminstration > Users > Test > clicked on Application access, it appears that he has access to Jira and Software. But since Confluence-users and Jira-software-users are also groups, the test user has access to all projects and spaces in Confluence.

So, if we have Project A, Project B, Project CSpace a, Space b, Space c, how can I have the test user have access to ONLY to PROJECT B and also to a SPACE B  -- PLEASE ADVISE

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Jiju Mathew October 19, 2017

This is what I did: 

1. created a new role. 
  2. copied the default permission scheme in the Issues management section. Added new permissions for this new role to the copy. Renamed it.
  3. associated this new permission scheme to a specific project
  4. created a new group (external client)
  5. gave that new Group Jira User access. so can now login and out.
  6. assigned my new user to that role and group. 

IT still did not give the external user access to a specific project. Rather the external user has access to all projects, which I do not want.

So, application access is basically for logging in (Jira-software users, Jira-admin, confluence-users) all dealt with permissions. Since this external user is part of confluence-users and jira-software-users - he has access to login AND in my case all the projects visible to him. 

Can someone please explain GLOBAL permissions and JIRA permissions? How is that different from Permission Schemes? 

What am I doing that's wrong? Can someone please assist? 

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2017

Jiju,

Only use confluence-users and jira-software-users to control access to the application, since all users have to have these permissions for licensing, and remove those groups from the default permissions or off of the projects and spaces that they are associated with.  Then create additional groups for access to spaces and projects.  For example.  We have 2000 jira-software-users that can access JIRA.  We then have a group for ITS, Marketing, Payroll, etc. That we place on project relevant to them.  Often on projects we bring in users external to the company.  We can then add them to relevant projects and they only see those projects when they login.  

Jiju Mathew October 18, 2017

I'm tracking with you but since I'm new to Jira, need some rails for "how-to" here. So, currently the test user (external) has access to the applications (confluence-users and jira-software-users). Obviously I want to have him access only 1 project / space

How do I remove those groups (which groups?) from permissions or projects & spaces? I cannot just remove confluence and jira software users? Is that what you are telling me? 

Could you kindly explain a bit more step-by-step, would appreciate it.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2017

Jiju,

Option One Setup: 

Groups

• jira-user
  • confluence-user
  • Internal-User
  • External-User

Users

• User 1 - Internal-User, jira-user
  • User 2 - Internal-User, jira-user
  • User 3 - External-User, jira-user

Projects

• Project 1 - For Internal Users Only
  • Project 2 - For External and Internal Users

All default JIRA & Confluence permission are default, no groups have been added to the core JIRA or Confluence permissions.

Project 1 - Add the Internal-User group to the project role user or developer and they can now access this project.

Project 2 - Add the Internal-User group and the External-User group to the project role user or developer and they can now access this project.

If you edit the global permissions and add the jira-user role to the global permissions it will apply to all projects.  Since jira-user is a required role to access JIRA you will remove the ability to provide granular project access that you get by adding roles at the project level.

Option Two Setup:

Groups

• jira-user
  • confluence-user
  • External-User

Users

• User 1 (Internal User) - jira-user
  • User 1 (External User) - jira-user
  • User 3 - External-User

Projects

• Project 1 - For Internal Users Only
  • Project 2 - For External and Internal Users

Project 1 - Add the jira-user group to the project role user or developer and they can now access this project or add them to the global permissions.

Project 2 - Add the jira-user group and the External-User group to the project role user or developer and they can now access this project.  You will also need to give External-User application access.  

Application Access:

1. Choose  > Applications.
  2. Select Application access in the left-hand menu. The Application access page displays all your applications and their associated groups, including their default groups.
  3. Locate the application you want to assign a specific group to, and click the Select group... drop-down.
  4. Select the group you wish to add. The group will be added to the application.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2017

Do not put them in the confluence-user or jira-software-users groups.

Either define new groups that let them log in and only get access to the projects and spaces you want, or change the permissions so that they do not use those "can log in" groups, and use other groups which you can not put "test" into.

Jiju Mathew October 24, 2017

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

Can you please help?

I’ve tired the following tasks:

• Created a project role and added the user
  • Copied the default permission scheme and associated it
  • Gave access to user and group (project level)
  • Added the group to global permission

But none of these worked – Am I missing something here?

Right now, the external client has app access to confluence-user or jira-software-users groups. I'll take them off these user-groups, then can you please show me a 'how-to' from here? Surely, this is not complicated, I'm just trying to get this external client access to ONLY a specific project / spaces. Please, please help.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - Created a group - they 'can sign in' and not part of Jira-software user and confluence-user.

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-- to further clarify, right now, I have two project roles:

• Admin
  • Project-Access
    • Two permission schemes
      • Default Permission Scheme
      • Default Software Scheme
        • Associated projects (* I need the external client to have access to ONE project in this)
        • Project Role Members per Project

ANYBODY - please help,

I removed him from confluence-users and jira-software-users but I have a group that has "Access" from Site Administration > Application Access > View Configuration added this group to JIRA SOFTWARE AND CONFLUENCE to grant access. Need to do it so they can login I guess. But when I add the group to this external user, the Jira Software and Confluence are both checked.

My default permission scheme has 4 projects, do I create a project role or something else?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2017

I'm a little bit lost on what the problem is now.

You say "added this group to JIRA SOFTWARE AND CONFLUENCE to grant access... But when I add the group to this external user, the Jira Software and Confluence are both checked"

Yes, because that's what you've told it - people in the group have access to both.  I don't know why this is an issue.

On the project access, keep it simple.  What does the permission scheme say for "Browse project"?

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question