How do I add a template (set of questions) to the Description of a New Issue

Vasu Raman May 6, 2022

In order for people to write better and clearer Jira tickets, I want to define a template consisting of a number of questions or items to fill in.  For example:

Customer:
Steps to Repro:
Brief Overview:
Technical Description:
Success Criteria:
Proposed Testing:

How can I do this?

3 answers

1 vote
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 8, 2022

Hi, @Vasu Raman ! As an alternative, you can use Smart Jira Forms for Jira. 

It allows adding the Template with questions to the issue automatically.

image.png 

0 votes
Alan Stephenson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2022

Hi Vasu,

We do something similar but we leverage some plug-ins like Jira Suite Utilities and script runner. There may be another way to do it without those, but here in a quick description is what we do.

Let's say the values you listed above you want to see those appear in every single Story issue type, and only a Story Issue type. What we did was create a custom field just similar to Description. Let me call this field "User Story Description". We create a separate screen just for Story Issue Type screen and replace the description field with the one we created called "User Story Description". 

When the ticket is created the value stored in "User Story Description" is copied to Description in a post function. Future screens for Story Issue Type, like view and edit will always show the Description field. 

Again, I don't know if there is a way to do this without some plug-ins but I wanted to share an idea how we did it.

-alan 

0 votes
Jose Filho
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 6, 2022

Hi Vasu, how have you been doing?

Thanks for reaching out to us with this question, and from here I'll be assisting you.

I'll provide below two links that will for sure be very useful to you and after reviewing, please fell free to reach out to us with additional questions if needed, your request will probably be fixed with the very first one.

Thank you  and have a great weekend !!!

Suggest an answer