How do I add a custom field to the "Update Fields" screen that is displayed when I convert a sub-task to an issue?

Patrick Schulz June 12, 2014

When I convert a sub-task to an issue, the "convert sub task" wizard starts.

In the first step I choose the issue type (story in my case), the second step is skipped and the third step "Update fields" already shows me some fields (the fields displayed vary depending on the issue type).

How do I add another custom field to this screen?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2014

As far as I know only fields that are not configured in the source project s fieldconfiguration but are configured in the target s fieldconfiguration appear in that mask.

I think if you want to update other fields you have to create some kind of workflow transition.

Thanks Joachen, it made the trick for me. I removed the field from any kind of sub-tasks (there it is useless) and suddenly the field appears.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2014

If you make the field mandatory on the taget issue type and the field is absent on the sub-task, you will be asked for it in the "update fields" screen. If the field is not mandatory, JIRA assumes that you just want to move only the existing fields.

"Update fields" screen only shows the fields that needs changes due to one reason or the other.

Yes, you are right, mandatory fields are allways displayed there if they were absent on the other issue type they become displayed. Thanks for this additional information. But making the field mandatory is not an option for me, bacause it must be possible to leave it empty. But nevertheless, the answer is correct.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2014

Make sure the field is valid for the target issue type.

It is. At least when I create a new issue of type story i see the field, so I assume it is valid.

It did not solve me the issue, but the answer is nevertheless correct.

Suggest an answer