How do I access the list of terms used in Jira? Are the Terms used in Jira analogous to SAFE?

Humair Imam November 30, 2021

We are building a Taxonomy/Vocabulary/Glossary of terms that are used in our different tools and Scaled Agile framework.  I need a list of all the terms/words/vocabulary/etc that is used in Jira, which is related to waterfall, agile/scrum, portfolio, budgeting, CapEx, etc.  If Jira has a document that shows the mapping of the interchangeable terms that is great, if not then kindly let me know how I can get the list of terms used in Jira.

Thank you.

The following is the Jira version running in our environment.

Jira credits

Roll credits...

License Information for Jira

Jira v8.5.3

Copyright © 2002 - 2020 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd.

The use of this product is subject to the terms of the Atlassian End User Agreement, unless other specified therein.

This product includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation.

This product also includes the following libraries which are covered by the GNU LGPL license:

This product also includes code written by other third parties.

Additional details regarding these and other third party code included in this product, including applicable copyright, legal and licensing notices, are available in the "licenses" directory under the Jira installation directory.

License Information for Jira Plugins

JIRA Service Desk Application v4.5.3

Copyright © 2002 - 2016 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd.

The use of this plugin is subject to the terms of the Atlassian End User Agreement, unless other specified therein.

This plugin includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation.

This plugin includes the following libraries covered by the GNU LGPL license:

This plugin also includes code written by other third parties.

Additional details regarding these and other third party code included in this plugin, including applicable copyright, legal and licensing notices, are available in the "licenses" directory inside the plugin.

Advanced Roadmaps for Jira v3.29.8

Copyright © 2014 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd.

The use of this product is subject to the terms of the Atlassian End User Agreement, unless other specified therein.

This plugin includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation.

This plugin includes the following libraries covered by the GNU LGPL license:

Additional details regarding these and other third party code included in this plugin, including applicable copyright, legal and licensing notices, are available in the "licenses" directory inside the plugin.

JIRA Agile v8.5.3

Copyright © 2002 - 2013 Atlassian Corporation Pty Ltd.

The use of this plugin is subject to the terms of the Atlassian End User Agreement, unless other specified therein.

This plugin includes software developed by the Apache Software Foundation.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

Hello @Humair Imam !

I'm not sure where to point for the list of terms that you desire.  The problem is that Jira is flexible so terms can be custom-created to match the Scaled Agile Framework, or can be set up depending on how your organization is practicing SAFe.

For instance, a collection of people doing work is a Project in Jira.  This could reflect a single team or an Agile Release Train (ART).

Also, as of 8.17 version of Data Center, you can set up the terms you need to match frameworks (such as SAFe).  Details are in this link: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftware/jira-software-8-17-x-release-notes-1063559166.html#JiraSoftware8.17.xreleasenotes-flexterm

Hope this helps

Humair Imam December 6, 2021

Hello @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_

Hope your weekend was amazing and have a a great Monday.  Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help and guidance.  Your recommendation might be an advanced subject; I am looking to map the basic terms for Agile/SAFe to Jira, such as the ceremonies, roles, etc. 

We are exploring the foundational elements of Agile/SAFe/Jira/Asset Manger vocabulary where the users can understand how we are converting framework theory to hands-on when using the management tools.  

There are many gaps between the tools and the framework education, vocabulary seems to be the fundamental gap, where the different levels of the organization are not aligned on the terminology, thus causing communication errors that is leading to delinquent quality, innovation, and not understanding the customer needs for the product teams to adopt to real time market needs.  By having this foundational gap it seems that all parties involved are speaking different languages that is hindering the organization to form true value streams.  This is not only causing transformation failures, but defeating the purpose of implanting agile and/or any kind of scalability.        

I do believe that the gaps between the tool and frameworks should be advised and governed by the product/tool manufacturer at the foundational level for basic communication alignment.  Once again, I appreciate the guidance and leadership.   

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

Hello @Humair Imam 

There are a few points to your perspective where I have a difference of opinion.

The first of these is that Jira (at least out of the box) can handle a scaled framework such as SAFe.  While Jira excels at managing the work at the Team level, it strains when you start applying it to the ART level, and downright falters at anything larger (Solution Train, Portfolio) without serious help from apps (Advanced Roadmaps on Jira Cloud, EZAgile, Structure, to name a few) or additional products (Jira Align comes to mind).  So, if you expect to model some of the terminology that is normally applied to higher levels to Out-of-the-box Jira, you may be disappointed.

The second is that there is no way to expect that the tool manufacturer govern the gaps between tool and process.  The abundance of processes/frameworks (including company-defined) make this an impossible task.  At least, Atlassian has set up Jira to be as customizable as possible to allow us, the tool users, to set up custom fields, custom issue types, apps, and the like to tailor the process whether it's SAFe, LeSS, Spotify or whatever.

Like Dave Rosenlund likes this
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Hi, @Humair Imam. I second @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_. Maybe you can cite some specific examples of Jira terms that are causing confusion?  Or, a list of SAFe terms that you're having trouble mapping to Jira?

-dave

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

The only thing I've run into with clashing terminology between SAFe and Jira is the use of the word "Epic".  Jira uses Epic for what SAFe calls "Features" (and it then has Epic at the layer above)

You can rename the Epic issue type in Jira, but if you do it, there's a slight problem (it used to break some stuff in interesting ways in some apps years ago, but those have all been fixed as far as I can tell).  The UI will still talk in Epics - Epic report, Epic link, Epic colour and so-on.

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

I thought CPrime's "Epic to SAFe Feature" app was a clever solution.  Now you can rename it safely on Jira 8.17 and later.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2021

Oh, and after my posting on the decade of me whinging about Epics and Feature not being right in Jira and then breaking all sorts of stuff, I go find yesterday's posting which (at last) lets us fix it:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Rename-epics-in-your-company-managed-projects/ba-p/1874726

Like Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2021

Thank you for posting that, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- !  I was not aware that Jira Software Cloud had that functionality as well!

Suggest an answer