How do I access the atlassian-jira.log file in an OnDemand System?

Jeff-F December 4, 2012

I have Jira OnDemand and would like to view the log to see the configuration changes made. Not sure how to do this.

Thanks,

Jeff

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

You can't. You will have to get help from support if anything goes wrong.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2012

We'd be interested to hear what kinds of things OnDemanders want to view the application logs for. Ideally we'd make this information available to you in a way that doesn't require human intervention.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

We would be interested for audit / tracking purposes. When something has gone "wrong" we'd like to know who changed it to see why things were done that way. The logs do help to some extent.

Jeff-F December 5, 2012

Well for me, another adminstrator added some fields. The only way I knew it was the banner at the top saying that I should re-index. I wanted to figure out what he changed without having to search for it or ask him. A log would show that. Also, what happens if I come in one day and a project is missing? It would be great to see what happened.

Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2012

Thanks for the great feedback! It sounds like we should push internally for something like https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3157 more.

Shortcuts Developer May 20, 2014

"We'd be interested to hear what kinds of things OnDemanders want to view the application logs for."

Quite, simply, because when you get a vague error like this:
"
An error occurred while installing the add-on. Refer to the logs for more information."
It's a kick in the face not to be told where the logs are, and then later told that it's impossible to access them at all.

Like # people like this
Francois Du Toit August 29, 2016

I use the rest API, getting a HTTP 400 error, but no idea why is always a hassle to figure out what is causing the error. Either the REST API should include the problem line or line number, or the error logs for the API should be available in the admin section on cloud.

Jay Brown June 4, 2019

Your error: "We can't create this issue for you right now, it could be due to unsupported content you've entered into one or more of the issue fields. If this situation persists, contact your administrator as they'll be able to access more specific information in the log file."

I am the admin, and I believe everything is correct. A log entry would be very helpful right now.

4 votes
Shortcuts Developer May 20, 2014

"We'd be interested to hear what kinds of things OnDemanders want to view the application logs for."

Quite, simply, because when you get a vague error like this:
"
An error occurred while installing the add-on. Refer to the logs for more information."
It's a kick in the face not to be told where the logs are, and then later told that it's impossible to access them at all.

2 votes
Nikolay Kojuharov May 12, 2015
For errors like this: JIRA is having difficulty contacting fisheye/crucible. If this condition persists, please contact your JIRA administrators.
2 votes
Brian Schaad July 9, 2014

Presented with an error like this - "This add-on failed to enable. Refer to the logs for more information." - pretty useless with access to the logs.

1 vote
Jay Brown June 4, 2019

In what universe can this be considered Solved?

Your error: "We can't create this issue for you right now, it could be due to unsupported content you've entered into one or more of the issue fields. If this situation persists, contact your administrator as they'll be able to access more specific information in the log file."

I am the admin, and I believe everything is correct. A log entry would be very helpful right now.

1 vote
Lee Borgea September 29, 2016

All of the oAuth troubleshooting documentation on https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/oauth-troubleshooting-guide-719095274.html points you to the logs for problem determination, e.g.

The application link was attempting to authenticate with the remote application but the timestamps from the local and remote machines do not match. This prevents the applications from authenticating with each other.

You may see this error message in the Atlassian application logs: oauth_problem=timestamp_refused

This doesn't make much sense since oAuth is the mandated authentication protocol for JIRA cloud (with no good .net examples out there) and I can't access the logs to determine the problem when the REST call fails.

0 votes
Uwe Trenkner February 2, 2016

I try to setup my mail account, double-checked all values but I always get an timeout. It would be great to get a more detailed view on the communication between JIRA cloud and the mail server.

0 votes
Jimi Hullegård August 19, 2015

For example, when I write a Groovy script and want to use the log function to print out values of the objects etc. Without that it is like working in the dark.

If system logs is not available because of some strange security reasoning, at least make it possible to log our own groovy output to a separate file and make that file accessible through the web interface.

Suggest an answer