Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

How do I access closed or cancelled Issues from my Jira board?

While I can easily access my current issues wither in a Sprint or in the Backlog, once they are done or Cancelled I do not see the issues and I cannot access them.  How do I access completed or cancelled issues?

2 answers

I was able to find the search utility by moving my display to the issues.  This is what I was looking for.  But the training did point me in the right direction.

0 votes
Dave Mathijs Community Leader Dec 07, 2022

Hi @Thomas Seubert welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First of all, you need to make sure that the Saved Filter on your Scrum Board includes resolved issues.

Next, you need to have a 'Done' status column in your board containing all 'green' statuses of your project. You cannot have unmapped statuses (see Columns in Board settings)

However, over time all your resolved issues will reside in the last column of your scrum board, so you might want to tweak you filter to show only issues resolved in the last x weeks.

I have a done column, and it only shows what has been completed for the current Sprint.  It does not show what has been done for previous sprints, nor is there a utility to allow me to search for previously closed Issues.  

What I am really looking for is a utility to search for and display, like the backlog, ALL completed or cancelled Issues.

Dave Mathijs Community Leader Dec 07, 2022

Then I suggest to create a filter and use it on a gadget in a Dashboard.

Ok.  But why is this not a feature already in Jira?  Unless this gadget is created, there is no way to review these issues, which is VERY limiting.

Hi @Thomas Seubert 

Adding to Dave's answers...

A Jira Scrum board, shows the current sprint.  There is little value to show prior sprints on that board as that would distract the team from the current sprint's deliver.

Regarding seeing any issues, you may find them using a filter with advanced (or basic) issues searches.  As different customers and teams have different needs, JQL searches enable a variety of searches to support that.  To learn what is possible, please try this free training from Atlassian on JQL: https://university.atlassian.com/student/path/849533-gain-project-insights-through-jql

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Dave Mathijs likes this

Bill, I will investigate that.

However, I am concerned that there does not seem to be an easy feature to easily search for closed or cancelled issues.  Half the value of a board is searching the archive for similar work done in the past and accessing that work for ease in creating and properly updating a new issue.  

This is the first Agile process software that I have encountered that does not have this feature.  

I'm just another customer and so, IMHO...

Jira tools seem oriented to many ways of managing work, and only have a few built-in things like Scrum-oriented or Kanban-oriented work practice support.

That training link I provided can help close some gaps, along with the dashboard ideas Dave suggested.  For example, let's say you needed to find all the stuff done since the start of year to compare to new stuff.  That filter would be:

project = myProjectName
 AND status = Done
AND statusCategoryChangedDate >= startOfYear()
ORDER BY statusCategoryChangedDate ASC

If you wanted to find stuff you abandoned or cancelled, and had a specific status for that, it would be:

project = myProjectName
 AND status = Abandoned
AND statusCategoryChangedDate >= startOfYear()
ORDER BY statusCategoryChangedDate ASC

Those filters (and others) could be saved and used on dashboards if you needed regular reporting on something that built-in reports do not support.

To get ideas for some other reporting, please look at the advanced searches: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

And if you need even more advanced reporting, take a look at either the Atlassian Marketplace or if your org has reporting tools to visualize information stored in Jira.

Suggest an answer