How do I Stop a sprint that was Started in Error

John Lay December 15, 2017

Not paying attention, Sprint 3 was started when Sprint 2 should have been started. We will do Sprint 3, just not now(must be after sprint 2)

I don't want to delete the now started sprint, but need to Stop or pause it while Sprint 2 completes.

3 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2017

Hi John,

I don't think you can stop a sprint to be restarted later on. You can create a new sprint, and delete the one your started by mistake. The issues that were in Sprint 3 will move to the next sprint. Now you can re-create Sprint 3 and move the original issues back to it.

Hope it helps,

Carlos

John Lay December 15, 2017

Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I expected.

I did just as you described and I'm back to where I wanted to be.

Thanks @Carlos Garcia Navarro

Jone Schotten September 6, 2018

Really? 

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2018

Hi Jone,

I'm afraid so... Per the Atlassian documentation, "You can only delete inactive sprints, so the ones that haven't been started yet, or that were already completed."

This is an article that explains how to delete sprints:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver075/deleting-a-sprint-935562578.html?_ga=2.73040467.1909076583.1536213038-1642675042.1519882766

Like Krishnapriya Nair likes this
Michael Sedovic February 8, 2019

You can stop it directly in the DB. (Not supported but I do it). 

In the DB the navigate to table AO_60DB71_SPRINT. Locate the sprint in question via the NAME  column then change the value in STARTED from 1 to 0 then save. 

NOTE: Shutdown- make a back up...all that jazz

For me I do it live. Because of the JIRA cache it takes 12+ hours to show via the GUI unless you clear that cache. Scriptrunner has a built in script that does that and use that. I have yet to have a problem with it in 2 years. 

Like SITTER_Adrien likes this
Eric Wilson February 26, 2019

This actually isn't a terrible solution at least in my case and settings. Create a Sprint, Rename it and move it under the sprint you want to delete. Delete it takes a couple of minutes and it moves it into the newly created sprint. Changing the dates didn't work for me because it would show up in my Kahnbahn view for the active sprint. 

3 votes
Matthew Frederes April 6, 2020

The accepted answer is just a hack for a feature that needs to be implemented.  Please vote for JRASERVER-68970

Jamie Scott May 1, 2020

Done

cristiana_tamiazzo October 21, 2021

EVERYONE should vote it!

0 votes
Arno_Filbig June 3, 2020

just to recap ... only in the DB u can stop a by mistake started Sprint ??????  is there no other way ???   

Suggest an answer