How can you change the translations in your own JIRA instance?

David Witherspoon March 26, 2012

My company is (mis)using Jira projects as we have one for each functional team. I am trying to figure out how to change the "Project" dropdown to be "Team" and have seen from appending ?i18ntranslate=true to the URL that the tag I need to change is menu.project.header. Anyone on here know the easy way to make this change?

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that we have just released InProduct translation plugin for JIRA.

It allows to translate JIRA right from its page so you can see all messages and provided translations live in a second. Just install the plugin in JIRA, select "Translate Page" from the user profile menu in JIRA and start translations.

The plugin is available in marketplace: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct
You can install it from the UPM. It works with JIRA 5.1+.

Cheers,
Jacek

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2012

BTW. If you like the InProduct translation for JIRA and would like to have the same for Confluence then please vote and comment following issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRANS-579

0 votes
Hung Nguyen July 16, 2019

InProduct Translation Plugin now does not support JIRA 8.x yet.

Not sure if there will be any hope that it can be upgraded soon.

We are relying on this and now it's outdated without support.

If anyone knows how to make it work with 8.x, please advise.

Thanks

Saiman Saimannex November 15, 2020

just upload it manually. There we be warning about plugin incompatibility but don't care

0 votes
Tyler Lee March 7, 2014

Thanks for providing the InProduct Translation Plugin. It worked great for a highly customized eval version of Jira we were experimenting with. Some of the labels we changed, we'd also like to be able to do in an OnDemand instance, but I see this plugin isn't available OnDemand. Is there an alternative plugin available OnDemand?

0 votes
David Witherspoon August 28, 2012

Jacek - Thanks for your reply. I was download #16 of the plugin and think it works great but maybe too great. I'll add this same info to the marketplace page but, I think the translations need to be limited to those with admin rights so you don't have people just making random changes that impact other users. Alternately, maybe you could find a way to have the translations remain if the plugin is disabled after changes are made?

David Witherspoon August 28, 2012

Forget I said anything. I found the admin controls where I wasn't expecting them and things are mostly great. Only issue is I have one user (of the 7 I've tested) that can't see the translations in chrome or firefox. Strange but, great job anyway!

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 29, 2012

Hi David,

Alternately, maybe you could find a way to have the translations remain if the plugin is disabled after changes are made?

That could be possible. I have created a ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRANS-602. Please vote and watch.

We also want to add possibility to publish local translations to TAC so they can become part of the public language pack: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRANS-489

Only issue is I have one user (of the 7 I've tested) that can't see the translations in chrome or firefox. Strange

That's strange indeed. People using the same language should see translations of each other. Can you make sure you all guys have the same language set? Please remember that global language setting can be overriden by personal (profile) setting.

Can you also let me know if you translate JIRA to your own language or just change words in English?

Thanks,
Jacek

David Witherspoon August 29, 2012

Jacek - Thanks for the heads up on the language setting. The one user was NOT on the same setting. Regarding your question, we are just changing words in English to our internal terminology

Tyler Lee March 7, 2014

Thanks for providing the InProduct Translation Plugin. It worked great for a highly customized eval version of Jira we were experimenting with. Some of the labels we changed, we'd also like to be able to do in an OnDemand instance, but I see this plugin isn't available OnDemand. Is there an alternative plugin available OnDemand?

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2014
Hi, Unfortunately the IPT plugin can't be ported to OnDemand due to OnDemand limit- it is simply not possible to create a plugin with such functionality for OnDemand at the moment. Cheers, Jacek
0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 24, 2012
0 votes
MinC
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2012

Which version of JIRA that you are running at the moment? Probably the following documentations might be useful to you:

David Witherspoon March 29, 2012

I am on 5.0 and had read the translation documentation and I think I am just mentally missing a step. I went to the translation site. Am I supposed to dowload the latest version, manually manipulate it, recompile it and replace my current jar? That's the part that's explicitly not described. Thanks for the reply

jjaroczynski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2012

Hi David,

It is enough to download the latest language pack, manipulate and install in JIRA via UPM as a plugin (no need to recompile or manually replace).

Each language pack downloaded from translations.atlassian.com is a valid plugin and can be installed via the UPM.

Cheers,
Jacek

Suggest an answer