How can you add a table in Jira screens for adding multiple rows of information?

Kirsty Mcloughlin January 15, 2018

I need to be able to add multiple lines of information in a table format (or similar) in Jira so when users are creating a case they can enter rows of information in rather than uploading an excel spreadsheet as an attachment. 

I would like the headers of each column to be custom fields  - i have tried using plug-in Table Grid Editor but this doesn't seem to give this functionality.

Also i need to be able to report on a dashboard view the information from the table.

Can anyone help? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2018

There is no way to do this with Jira.

In Jira, a custom field is a single entity.  It exists once for each issue, although some custom fields accept multiple entries.

As an example, imagine you have two fields:

• Colour:
    • Has a list of options: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet
    • Can only hold one value
  • Texture:
    • Has a list of options: Hard, Metallic, Soft, Wet, Dry, Smooth, Rough, Fluffy, Cold, Warm
    • Can only hold many of these values

You can see you can describe an issue as a single colour but with many textures, but you can only use each field once.  There are only two fields on the issue.  Custom fields each have to be added individually by an admin, not arbitrarily line-by-line.

Suggest an answer