How can we use both methodologies (Scrum+Kanban) in Jira?

afsaneh rad May 1, 2021

Actually, we want to use a Kanban board with sprints in Jira. Somehow we want to implement the Scrumban methodology.

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2021

Start with a Scrum board, and then, well, just don't use the bits you don't need.

Most of the time I hear "Scrumban", it translates into "scrum without estimating" (in Jira - the scrum rituals stuff isn't done in Jira, so there's no need to talk about them as well here) because you're using the Kanban principle of 1 card = 1 estimate unit.  Of course, no estimation renders a lot of scrum reporting useless, and there is no cycle time reporting in Jira directly.

But the Kanban equivalence of 1 card = 1 estimate unit is the way to get something.  If you were to enable story points or any numeric field as the scrum estimate unit, and then use automation or scripting to always populate it with "1", then a lot of the scrum reports would start working and give you something almost usable as cycle time.

afsaneh rad May 1, 2021

If I understand correctly, we must first create a scrum board, then create sprints by that, and then just back to our kanban board to use the sprints?

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2021

What is exactly does scrumban mean to you? You likely can achieve this is simply using the scrum board. 

afsaneh rad May 1, 2021

actually, I want to use our kanban board with setting sprints and story points for every issue on that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2021

Kanban doesn't have sprints or variable estimates, so you can't use a Kanban board for this.  You'll need to swap to a Scrum board.

Like afsaneh rad likes this
afsaneh rad May 1, 2021

If I understand correctly, we must first create a scrum board, then create sprints by that, and then just back to our kanban board to use the sprints?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2021

No.  Your Kanban board will not show you the sprints.  You need to swap to a Scrum board.

afsaneh rad May 1, 2021

Thanks

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2021

Yep. Just create a new scrum board that is based on the same Kanban filter and you are good to go. You can delete the Kanban board when you are happy wit the Scrum board. 

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2021

Hi @afsaneh rad 

Often when people mention using "Scrumban", they do not mean what Corey Ladas did in his 2008 book on this idea. 

More often they mean "Scrum, but..." (i.e. we use Scrum, except we don't do the following...) or they mean "Kanban, but..." (i.e. we use <X> interpretation of Kanban, except we don't do the following...)  For either of these, teams may discuss what they are/are not doing, and then decide how Jira can help manage that, and experiment to improve from there.

Essentially this means:

• Does the team use time-boxed iterations for planning *and* release?  If so, do they want Jira to help manage that?  Then consider using the Jira interpretation of a Scrum board.
  • In most other cases, consider using the Jira interpretation of a Kanban board

Again, please take it to the team to discuss how they work, why they work that way, and how Jira might help.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Stefan Peruzzi May 1, 2021

As Jack I have to ask what scrumban means to you?

But if you start with a scrum board in Jira you do get the backlog view and in active sprint view you will see a simple kanban board (To Do - In Progress - Done) which you can adapt to your needs.

Additionally I always create 2 kanban boards in Jira for the same team:

• one showing the preparation of work (like: open - in spec - in refinement - R4I)
  • one giving management an overview of what's going on at epic/story level

maybe this is scrumban? - although I don't have any idea what this word really means

afsaneh rad May 1, 2021

we have lots of issues on our kanban board with 8 columns (different phases) and now we decided to use sprints and story points for our issues? 

Do we have to change our board to a scrum board to use sprints?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events