How can we restore a deleted custom field from the schema?

sameen khan June 1, 2014

I was adding clients for Provider Portal and Instead of hitting the confirure icon, I hit the delete button which deleted the schema without any warning.

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2014

It's gone. You'll need to recreate it from scratch. (It did warn you of this though)

Mary Gaverth July 3, 2020

No, there is no warning. I just did this and all my issues have the default value for this field. I am freaking out. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2020

I'm sorry, but

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 21.51.29.png

I didn't delete the field. I deleted the scheme or whatever by clicking the X. 

The field is still there but all the values have been returned to the default. Example options for the field were:

None (the default)

Yes

No

Processed

Every single issue now says None for that field. 

Capture.JPG

The original value is still in the history but there was no warning message at all. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2020

If you didn't see that, then could you tell us precisely what you were doing?

I clicked the X in the image I uploaded and it cleared all the values for that custom field. That image then was removed. What you are seeing is me recreating what was there and manually making updates because I didn't make a backup. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2020

Sorry, my last comment was done after I re-opened the question, but before you went ahead and answered it without needing to read it!

Your screenshot tells me exactly what has happened.  It's not field delete, but you are deleting the place the data is held.

Field configurations and screens do not directly affect a field, you can change them as much as you want, the field is not affected.

However, you've hit on "field context", where you define that a field belongs to a sub-set of projects or issue-types and can have different lists.  These do affect the content - if you change the context of a field, Jira can't know what to do with orphan data, so it has no choice but to delete it. 

You've created a new context as a replacement, but I'm afraid the old context is gone, as is your data that was held in it.

As you've seen, deleting a context does not warn you.  I seem to remember there's a bug logged for that, but it's too late here.

You'll need to look at a backup to recover the field contents

0 votes
sameen khan June 1, 2014

it did not warn me, I released it when I saw all the options were empty, configure and delete options were side by side and I might have clicked the delete icon.

No, there is no warning. I just did this and all my issues have the default value for this field. I am freaking out. 

Suggest an answer