• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • How can we exclude stories closed with resolution "Won't Fix", "Duplicated", "Not Reproducible" and "Incompleted" out of Scrum Board's Velocity and Sprint Report , or Agile Classic's chart board?

How can we exclude stories closed with resolution "Won't Fix", "Duplicated", "Not Reproducible" and "Incompleted" out of Scrum Board's Velocity and Sprint Report , or Agile Classic's chart board?

Deleted user October 24, 2013

I think those kind of issues shouldn't be reflected in sprint report as they're invalid. However, I cannot find how I can exclude them from the Scrum or Classic boards.

For example, Sprint report in sprint-h2 in the capture include a 10-point story which was closed with resolution "won't fix" but it's still counted in sprint report.

Can anyone help give suggestion on this? Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Cheers,

Jenjira

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2013

You can always try to exclude stories with those resolutions from the board filters. I don't know ifthat will help.

Best regards,

Peter

Oh, yes :). Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Hi again, Peter. I have tried changing the filter to exclude those cancelled issues. However, I found that velocity chart will throw "No issues present in sprint to generate scope change model" error if that cancelled issues used to be chosen to "Remove from sprint". This stop Velocity board from generating the result. Do you know how can we manage this issue?

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2013

Jenjira, this problem is caused by the fact that if you exclude these issue certain of your last sprints don't have any issues at all in them. See here for similar problems : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-7250.

You might be able to change your filter back so that there is a least one issue in each sprint. As the velocity board only shows the last 7 sprints (as described here : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Viewing+the+Velocity+Chart?focusedCommentId=317950207#comment-317950207 ) it should work again in a couple of sprints.

Best regards,

Peter

Like Michael Homendy likes this
Deleted user October 28, 2013

I see.. Thank you very much for the information :).

Michael Homendy July 28, 2020

Peter, from 7 years into the future I thank you for this answer.  It put me on the right path.  For others who might also be having trouble, I had done some customizations to the workflows and views.  When things started breaking I backed it all out, but i forgot I had modified the main board's filter.  All my issues were showing fine, so i didn't think anything of it, but it was really messing up my reporting.

So if you are still having troubles, try this - go to you backlog, open the "..." in the upper right to get into the "Board Settings".  On the "General" section you have something called "Saved Filter" and "Filter Query" - if your filter isn't something like: "project = <your project name> ORDER BY Rank ASC" you might have messed up your reporting filters.

I hope this extra info helps someone else! 

0 votes
Marika March 15, 2018

Just to support the already provided answer -  the below JQL did the job for me:

project = X AND issuetype in (Bug, Feature, Story) AND resolution in (Unresolved, Complete, Fixed)  ORDER BY Rank ASC
0 votes
Matt McClure December 12, 2016

Add a "Resolved Not Done" column to your board. Move it to the left of the Done column, so that the Done column retains the green (indicating "Done") horizontal rule, and the "Resolved Not Done" column's horizontal rule is yellow (indicating "In Progress").

Then the Velocity Report and Sprint Report will treat issues in Resolved Not Done as not completed, and the issues in the Done column as completed.

See also the similar question: How to exclude "Won`t Fix" user story from completed Sprint and its points from velocity chart ?

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2017

@Matt McClure. not following how adding a new resolution type "Resolved Not Done" helps as changing the resolution has no effect on the velocity report. When you speak about horizontal rules are you referring to swim lanes on the scrum board?

Please can you explain in more detail how your workaround works.

Dashboard User November 28, 2017

@boardtc

Velocity and Sprint reports are calculated per JIRA Agile Board.

For an issue to be added to the "done" sum of Velocity/Sprint, its status must be mapped to the last (rightmost) column on the Agile Board.

Nothing else has no influence on the math of a velocity report. Issue status doesn't matter (if status is a "To Do" or a "In Progress" or a "Done" category status); resolution not empty doesn't matter., etc., It's all about status mapping to the last column on the board.

Now, this can lead to some interesting problems... for example you have more than one board that includes an issue and the Agile Board column mappings across boards are the not the same. As a result, the Sprint report for each board will be different.

(don't worry about the horizontal rules / colors of the columns... not relevant)

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2017

@Dashboard User interesting, so it does not matter what the resolution field is set to just don't have the issue in the far right column to not be included in the velocity. I'll have to try that!

Andy Cleff December 1, 2017

Surprised me too, and counterintuitive.

But experimentation has proven it to be true.

My use case it the opposite... dev-complete at the end of the sprint, and it get's thrown over the wall to end to end testing for confirmation.

Development team's work gets counted towards sprint velocity, per DEVS "internal" DoD.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events