How can we disable the new Admin->Add field in JIRA 6.1

Namita T December 1, 2013

How can we disable the new Admin->Add field in JIRA 6.1 ?

We have given admin access to some of the project leads. Since it's very easy to create the field now they are all trying it ;-) The concern here is fields are created in Global contexts and getting added to shared screens, so it's impacting other projects.

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Prasanth December 1, 2013

You can disable it by disabling the module "View Issue Ops Bar Actions group" in Issue Operations plugin. Though it's a system plugin I didn't notice any issue by disabling it. You may test it thoroughly before trying in production.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2013

You know that disables it for all administrators? And doesn't stop the function from working if you get there via another route?

Prasanth December 1, 2013

Yes I know it will disable it for all administrators and doesn't stop admins from creating a customfield with Add Customfield UI.

Actually, my answer was not to address the real problem of multiple jira administrators but just to disable that particular menu item from the UI.

Namita T December 2, 2013

That did the trick! Thank you!

0 votes
Ryan Aherne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2014

Or you could hide the link using script. Pasted into the Announcement Banner.

// Disable Admin/Add Field option
AJS.$("#opsbar-admin_more").live("click", "#add-custom-field", function(){ 
      jQuery('#add-custom-field').hide();
});

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2013

You can't disable it.

There's a general piece of advice on admin here - never give it out to project leads and other users. You should have a small handful of administrators (at least two, never more than ten, and ten is when your Jira install is huge)

I would remove this access from them as soon as possible. Every Atlassian job I've had has started with being hired to sort out the mess made by too many admins.

(Atlassian are looking at more granular admin access levels, but I don't know exactly when to expect an improvement)

Namita T December 2, 2013

Nic, this make sense. I am working towards to reduce the number and I could do that to an extent. Still trying hard to convince people.

0 votes
rambabu patina
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 1, 2013

AFAIK "Add new field" is the default permissions to the adimins so we can't change this. But you can do one thing tell to the project leads if add any new fields then need to configure to that particular project only and issue types then it will not effect the other projects.

Hope this helps you,

Patina

Suggest an answer