How can we create custom fields on projects?

Office Alias November 14, 2012

It is a mandatory requirement for us to be able to define begin and end dates for a project.

Projects, by any project management definition, only exist during a specific period of time.

* How can we define begin and end dates for a project (not just its issues)?

* How can we define a status for a project (not just its issues), such as Active, Ended, etc.?

* How can we define other custom fields on a project (not just its issues), such as Customer, Project Team, etc?

* How can we perform project searches? Currently, we can only search for issues. We want to be able to search for projects, using specific criteria, just like searches with issues.

* How can we pick which permission scheme to use during project creation. Currently, the Default Permission Scheme is assigned, we would rather pick the scheme during project creation.

* How can we bulk-edit information associated with a project?

We currently have approximately 200 projects and it is incredibly tedious, time-consuming and nonsensical to have to edit settings or information associated with projects one at a time.

I doubt we're the first ones to have this need, it is common practice to have such information associated with a project (not just its issues).

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2012

There are no "project level" fields in Jira yet.

Start at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-1991 for the discussions, and there's a couple of plugins that can help - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.deiser.jira.profields is the obvious one, which works well.

To answer your points specifically

• Generally, you don't do that on a project, you do it on versions within the project. You could easily have just one version in a project (although if you do sprints, you'd need a meta-version to cover the whole lor)
  • You can't directly. I use categories for that, or even a "catalogue" project (see below)
  • You can't directly. I use a "catalogue" project (see below)
  • That's not really relevant, a project isn't the focus of searches, the issues are the point of the system. The simple phrase "project in (x, y, z)" will return issues. I'm not sure of the point of returning just a project from a search.
  • You're stuck with the default settings. I'm sure I've seen a feature request to improve that, and I'm pretty sure I'd have voted on it (the most annoying one is the issue type scheme, as the default is "all issue types" and that's a royal pain in the neck)
  • I'd do that in a catalogue project

A "catalogue" project is simple - each issue is a reference to a project. You can put any fields you want in that project, for example, use "summary" as project title, then add fields for start/end date, project tech lead, project business group, have a reference for the short-code, etc etc etc. Define a workflow for project open/closed/dormant/defunct/whatever

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2012

Also look at metadata plugin. Nic has answered the other questions ;)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2012

Oops, I forgot that one - I've not used it enough to remember it. Sorry!

0 votes
Guillermo _DEISER_ November 29, 2012

Hello again;

With Profields 2.0 now it's possible to execute JQL queries using the attributes created with the plugin. Although the JQL box works with issues, you can combine the filter with some gadgets of JIRA.

this workaround can be used to have project lists by categories (but with gadgets). We are working with the new release (2.1) to include more project-oriented searches.

Sorry for the duplication!

0 votes
Guillermo _DEISER_ November 29, 2012

Hello;

As nic said, I think that Profields can achieve many of your requierement. We have just released yesterday Profields version 2.0 you can see our landing wiht the most relevant features (all versions).

http://www.deiser.com/subject/landing/profields/

Of course if you try it, you can also send us your feedback and your specific requirements to:

http://www.madeira20.com you can sign up and create issues with your questions.

Cheers

<body></body>

Suggest an answer