How can we block users from closing issues unless sprint is filled.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

HiAll

We use JIRA software. And one of the problems we are facing is that sometimes users close an issues without assigning it to a sprint.

How can we block a user from closing an issue if sprint field is empty?

Rahul

2 answers

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

I got a problem with your process here. I got 2 questions:

• Why do you require Sprints on closing an issue?
  • If you do need an issue to be in a Sprint, why not include it in a Sprint than adding it afterwards?

The concept of a Sprint is that you create one and set a deadline then associate issues to it so that it will be completed on that certain time frame. 

In your case, it seems that you have users working on issues outside the Sprint and want it to be included in the current Sprint which mean a scope change. This is the responsibility of the Scrum Master.

I suggest that instead of "requiring" your users to add a Sprint to an issue, require your Scrum Masters to "add the issue to the Sprint" if it's currently being worked on.

0 votes
Ben Arundel April 21, 2016

In your workflow add the Fields Required validator to the transition to close. 

see the docs for further info.

Suggest an answer