How can we add dynamic field in Jira screen?

Mahmudul Anam June 10, 2014

Hi Experts,
Is there any way to add dynamic dropdown menu in Jira Screen?

For an example if I select country from dropdown menu another dorpdown menu will appear which populated with states of the country.

Thanks in advance

Anam

1 answer

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2014

Have you tried adding a "cascading select list" custom field?

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer.

Could you please little bit explain how to add cascading select list?

Best Regards,

Anam

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2014

Admin -> Custom fields -> Add custom field -> Select cascading select, give it a name and context etc -> add it to screens. Then go back in and use the "configure" link to add the options and cascaded options.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your answer.

Then how can I add another custom field "States" which will be automatically poplulated with the stated whenever I select a country. For an instance if I select USA then 2nd dropdown window will polulated with USA states.

Thanks

Anam

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2014

I'm sorry, but that's the same question, with the same answer. Add a cascading select custom field - that's exactly what they are for.

Hi Nic,
Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible if I select any country another field will be appeared to enter data?

Thanks for your great support.

Thanks

Anam

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2014

I have no idea why you keep asking. You've got an answer. Try it. You'll find it does the job.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for your support.

Thanks

Anam

Ansu Alex March 6, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Mahmudul Anam

Adding to this Question: 

Cascading Field is limited to one parent value and a corresponding child value. 

Is it possible to make this cascaded field a dynamic field? That is, the user determines the number of times this cascaded question appears on the screen. 

For example, Adam has 5 fruits - 3 oranges and 2 apples, Each of this fruit has a set predetermined problem. 

Cascaded Custom Field Question:

How many fruits do you have and specify the problem?

1. Parent Answer = Orange, Cascaded Child Answer = Too Ripe 

I want JIRA to give the user the ability to answer the same question how many ever times to reflect all answers.

Given there are 5 fruits, the user should be able to populate the question five times and provide answer 5 times. 

In the end, 

1. orange, Too Ripe

2. orange, Color has Faded

3. orange, perfect fruit

4. Apple, Color has faded

4. Apple, perfect Fruit

Thank you for helping and I hope my question is clear. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

You can't - a field is a field, not a variable length array of fields.  You'd need to add five sets of cascading selects for this, separately, and allowing for some/all of them to be left blank