How can we Automate the Re-Index for JIRA ?

Chennudu S December 13, 2017

i am using window server 2003. i need to automate reindex with script. Can you please let me know which script is suitable for my system configuration. Please find the attachment of my system configuration. 

System.PNG

Thanks & Regards,
Chennudu

Thanks & Regards,

Chennudu

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

"I want to automate re-index" usually means "I've got a broken Jira and I'm trying to plaster over the cracks instead of fix the problem".

Could you start by explaining why you think you want to automate an indexing?

its taking more time to indexing manually So, to reduce human effort i thought of automate re index . i am checking whether it is possible to automate or not with using script. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

No, sorry, that's not what I asked.

Why do you think you need to re-index?

(Although a scripted re-index is not going to be any faster than a human doing it)

However, any changes done to the plugins or configuration changes (Fileds,Screes, Issue Types) require then need to perform a re-index on the JIRA Instance.

For Reindex we ask downtime and perform manual reindex on Business Off Hours. But my manager asks me to do automate using script. 

If we Perform a background index will decrease the performance of the system... 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2017

If you perform ANY index, it thrashes the system, so that's completely the wrong reason for doing it.

If you "automate" this, you will be doing indexing totally pointlessly on days when admins have not changed anything significant, which means even worse overall performance.

I'd strongly recommend sticking with manual re-indexing when you actually need to do it, not just because you can't be bothered to think about timing.

There are scripts around that will log in over REST and do it, which you can stick in a cron job, but I don't know where they are because it's generally a silly thing to have to do.

0 votes
Casey Daniell December 19, 2017

1. First issue is running on an ancient OS. Update windows to *something* more recent like Windows 2012R2. Windows 2003 was EOL'd over 2 years ago. 

2. Are you talking the reindex that's avilable under the system tab? Or are you talking about rebuilding SQL indexes in the database?

Suggest an answer