How can restrict a specific user to Edit only the Issues created by him/herself (Developers will keep default setting)

Mauricio Gracia July 20, 2014

How can I configure Jira on demand, so that a specific user can only edit issues that created by the same user.

What I am looking for is for a way to restrict that specific user, to create and edit the issues it created, but not to be able to edit (by mistake) issues created by other users.

Is important to keep in mind that I need to keep the current setting so that any user with the DEVELOPER ROLE of the same project can edit any issue of the project

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2014

Limit the "edit" permission to just "reporter"

Mauricio Gracia July 20, 2014

@Nic Brough...but I want any user with the DEVELOPER ROLE of the same project to be able edit any issue of the same project.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2014

That's not what you originally asked.

But it's the same answer really - you let "reporter" and "role: developer" edit the issue.

Mauricio Gracia July 21, 2014

if I add REPORTER to EDIT permissions..how can this avoid the SPECIF USER to edit issues that were created by other user ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2014

I don't think you understand your requirement.

Please think it through - who SHOULD be able to edit the issue? These are the people who you need put in the "edit" line in the permission scheme.

If someone should NOT have edit rights, do NOT put them in the scheme.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2014

Yes, I see that, you keep saying it. And I've told you the answer three times.

Grant "reporter" the right to edit issues in the project.

That's it. Simple. Job done. Only the reporter of any gven issue will be able to edit it.

I don't understand why you start banging on about other users. You don't seem to be understanding that all you need is the reporter in the edit permission. If you want to stop other people editing the issue, do not put them in the edit permission.

I don't see what's so hard here. Or why you've suddenly started talking about an issue collector - all that does is inject code into other applications that can raise Jira issues, it won't do anything differently about reporter permissions.

Mauricio Gracia July 21, 2014

@Nic Broughthe fact that you dont understand me, does not mean that I dont understad my own requirement. I think that using an Issue Collector can solve this. I want a person that can Create and EDIT only the issues she created but not being able to edit the issues created by other users..is that too hard to understand ?

Mauricio Gracia July 27, 2014

@NicI wish that your level of patiente and the capacitiy of providing a clear answer from the beginning was related to the karma level that you have.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2014

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the reasons you're jumping around or where the problem is. The answer I gave originally was clear, concise, and accurate.

So I didn't understand why you were asking questions that implied you had not understood the original answer. Your follow-on questions were unclear and did not really let me understand how you were thinking or what you were trying to achieve that had not already been explains. I'm sorry if that was wrong, but I have been struggling to get my head around how you're thinking from the questions you asked.

Mike Dominick July 30, 2014

I used "reporter" to try and restrict issue edit permissions to those specific users but unfortunately, the user who is noted as the reporter of an issue could not change the Epic a story was linked to. Any reason for that? Does the reporter have to be the original reporter for that permission control to work? I was the original reporter (but I'm also the Admin) and I changed it to his name but he wasn't able to edit that aspect of the issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2014

The reporter of an issue can only edit that issue, not the issues linked to it, unless they also have edit rights on the linked issues. The links are not important, permissions only apply to the current issue you are looking at. Check to see if the user can edit the Epic .

Mike Dominick July 30, 2014

Ok, so the reporter does not have permission to edit the Epic - which is exactly what I want - but I do need them to be able to create a story and link their story to the available Epics. So, technically, they're only editing their issue but they need to be able to choose from the list of Epics it should be linked to. Right now with the Reporter based permission, they can't do that. I guess since they're adding or linking a story to an Epic, Jira is considering that a "edit" to that Epic? And without permissions to edit the Epic they can't link a story to it? Does that sound right?

Thank you for your help, btw.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2014

Ah, ok. The other thing to check if it's just linking - that is a specific permission in it's own right. So I'd check that the user has the right to browse and link the Epic (but still not edit!)

Sistemas Intelygenz August 1, 2016

I cant do this for reporter users:

To be able to create a story and link their story to the available Epics. without permission to edit that Epics.

What can i do?

0 votes
Isha September 17, 2018

Hi. My team is not entering estimates on the day basis for their sub-tasks.

Does JIRA help me to restrict my team to create task without estimates? 

Suggest an answer