How can not change reporter in an issue even with an administration account?

Leandro Cabrera October 21, 2014

I have JIRA v6.4 installed and in simple project with the default workflow and with the users groups with the permission schema with the "Modify Reporter" permission enabled it does not allow me to modifiy the reporter even with an open issue.

I have looked for answers but I haven't found any that worked for me, any suggestions?

Thanks!

4 answers

1 vote
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2014

Hi Leandro,

Are you using a specific Screen Scheme for this issue type?

Could it be that the reporter field is not available on the Edit Screen in this Screen Scheme?

That would explain why nobody can edit the field once it has been set.

Some more information about Screen Schemes can be found here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+a+Screen+with+an+Issue+Operation

Best regards,

Peter

Leandro Cabrera October 22, 2014

Yes the screen is not the issue, in fact I have even tried doing a request using the API and I get:

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"reporter":"Field 'reporter' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."}}

So not even the API I have the configured permissions.

Thanks!

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 22, 2014

Leandro, The message from the API also indicates that the field seems to be missing. It's not because you can see the field that you can edit it. Only fields that are on the Edit screen can be edited after the creation of an issue. Best regards, Peter

0 votes
Thompson David Cherian August 8, 2016

It's been two years since this question was asked, Anyway sharing the solution as it can help other who might be searching for the same.

All you need to do to change the reporter is to clear the resolution field either by reopening the issues or manually if screen permissions allow.

PS: Not sure if this is a bug of feature in JIRA which does not permit changing reporter once resolution field is set. Because once I have cleared the resolution and changed the reporter, I can change the reporter again even after the resolution is set.

0 votes
Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

Hello

You could try the Admin tool - Permission Helper.

Choose the Modify Reporter permission and input your user. The tool should give your some clues about your problem.

image2014-10-22 12:28:33.png

image2014-10-22 12:29:44.png

I tried this and I tried with several users that are in the same group that has this permission and all of them were ok, still I cannot modify the field. Thanks!

Juan Felipe Cardona
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2014

Just to be sure... is the Reporter field visible for your current issue type? I mean, is it currently showing the Reporter?

Yes! Thanks!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2014

Step back for a second and check over the permissions - could you tell us:

• Exactly what permission scheme your project is using
  • Exactly what the line for "modify reporter" says.  It will be something like:  role (developers), group (jira-developers), single user (Fred) 
  • If the Reporter field is clickable on the issue view screen
  • If the Reporter field appears when you click "edit" and edit the whole issue

Sorry I should have given you more details. - Basically the "Modify Reporter" is assigned to Project Role (Administrators) you want. - On the issue view screen there is no single user (not even admin) that can click on that option. - it doesn't appear in the click screen Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2014

Are you 100% sure that your user is in the project role of Administrators? Bear in mind that this is not system admin rights or anything like that, it really is just "are they in the role, or in a group that is in that role", for that one project.

Yes the user is in that group, I tried even with the project lead, or adding users and assigning different combinations added up to the role that has the "Modify Reporter" with no success. I used what Juan Felipe Cardona suggested me that is using the admin tool - Permission helper and I checked with the users that are with that role, and everybody with this permission correctly. Thanks!

Suggest an answer